Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Over-lubing a SST
Unread 08-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Over-lubing a SST

The other week I removed the floorplate on a VHE with SST just to see how clean the innerds were. I sprayed a tad of Rem Oil on the SST mechanism and wiped off any excess. After doing that the gun doubled twice in 100 rounds; it had never done that before. I removed the floorplate, degreased the SST and put it all back together. I reviewed TPS on the subject and it says right there "Do not lubricate the SST." One thing I've noticed, however, is the selector switch does not have a very positive catch to it. It slides too easily (I think) from one barrel to the next, unlike my DHE with the SST on which the selector switch has a very positive click when you move it. Is there an adjustment to take up slack in the selector switch? Thanks.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hmmmm....I have been having problems with a SST not moving forward fast enough. It doesn't happen everytime but at times I am not able to get the second shot off very quickly because the trigger isn't re-setting fast enough. Everytime I clean it I put a couple drops of oil on each side of the trigger and let it drain into the mechanism. No problems with doubling yet. Maybe I should pull off the floorplate, clean the mechanism thoroughly and put it back together without any oil...?? I haven't really wanted to take it apart. I would be curious to know what my problem may be caused from...
Kurt Densmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Keep oil away from SST just as Parker said. You are asking for problems and a large repair bill (if you can find someone to work on them). Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote