Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Bill Curry Passes
Unread 02-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Default Bill Curry Passes

Thought some folks here would want to know. I didn't know Bill but have seen him at many events.

http://shootingsportsman.com/bill-curry-1949-2017/

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
double barrel
PGCA Member

Member Info

I did not know Bill but from his obituary he was a fine upstanding gentleman, God be with you Bill and your family.
Ken Descovich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Descovich For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,143 Times in 830 Posts

I dealt with Bill a few times. Nice man. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Charles Matthews
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean,
I had not heard. Thanks for the post. I did not know Bill well but the times we talked in Charlotte he was as nice as he could be to me. He once offered to give me some RST shells out of his truck because the store was temporarily out of stock and I was in a pinch. I am in shock.

I still have his card in my wallet as I write this.

Charles
Charles Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

Did not know him either, but RIP Mr. Curry.
Unread 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean,

Thanks for the post. I met Bill Curry at the Southern SXS classic in Sanford years ago, I was only there one year (2003 or 2004) and getting ready to shoot the course with a 12 ga when Bill Curry came by in a golf cart with a friend in the passenger seat. When he saw I was by myself, he stopped, introduced himself and the passenger and asked if I'd like to join them. He said I could put my gun in the cart rack, my shells and stuff with theirs, stand on the metal plate and hold on to the back for the ride. I jumped at the chance and thanked him very much. We were shooting the preliminary courses, not the main event, and he was shooting a 10 ga hammer gun and a 10 ga hammerless. He asked if it be "OK" with us if he could shoot first, then his friend, me shoot and then he shoot again so there was some time between his shooting for him to recover. Heck that was fine with me. It was quite an experience. Those guys could shoot! I remember Bill was shooting an Ithaca 3-1/2" magnum hammerless and I think the hammer gun was a Parker. Between stations I asked him about shooting the 10's and he answered my questions completely particularly about the loads. He had explained that they were either 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz field loads. The guns may be heavy but the recoil wasn't bad; made sense to me. It was through him that I got a hankering for a 10 ga to play with. Now I have (in the order I acquired them)an 1888 10 ga Parker hammer gun, 1889 10 ga E grade Lefever hammerless, 10 ga William Moore hammer gun and a 10 ga W&C Scott and Son 1904 hammerless.
Rest In Peace Bill

Jack Kuzepski

Last edited by Jack Kuzepski; 02-17-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,559 Times in 773 Posts

Thanks Dean. Never had the pleasure but it's sad to hear of one of our brothers passing. God keep him and bless his family in their time of grief.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i did not know bill but its sad to see a fellow lover of old side by sides...condolces to the family.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Mr Curry,

Was a true Southern Gentleman. He was very kind and helpful in every experience I ever had with him. Shotgunning seemed to be in his blood. He was a fierce competitor and he won many many events. Primland has run a full page color ad in Shooting Sportsman for several years. The ad has Mr Curry shooting with his full tweed outfit on. It is a very fitting picture that represents him in many ways.

I will greatly miss him.

John
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had the honor of being with and talking with Mr. Curry the last day he attended an event with The Carolina Vintage Gunners at Backwoods Quail Club January 20th. After shooting a round with a group I sat with a number of the Vintage Gunners and this fine gentleman asked me if I was the Parker guy. I said I was and he asked to see my Parker. I asked him which one as I had two with me. He said "bring them all out to see". I handed him my VH 12 and he proceeded to take it down and inspect it with a fine tooth comb. He looked at the serial number and came within five years of the production year. Next I handed him my GH 12 and he proceeded to do the same. We talked about my two guns for almost an hour. Everyone I met that day were the most welcoming and Mr. Curry was one of the nicest gentlemen I have met. I only met him that day and I will definitely miss him.
Tom
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post: