Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #81
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
For Garry’s question about a No. 2 frame 26” 10ga weight, I have exactly that in a two barrel 10 and 12 set. With the 10ga Damascus barrels, factory choked cyl and cyl, on a 2 frame CH, the weight is 7lbs 3oz.

I have a case of RST 1 1/4 oz 5’s and sometimes use it on pheasant. I should use it more . The gun was originally sold to New Hampshire, I assume for woods grouse but it is heavy for a grouse gun.
Wow! I imagine the patterns and shot strings for that 10 would be conducive to taking grouse in the thickets. And I’ve seen guys carrying heavier 12s in the grouse woods. I don’t mean to pester you with questions, but I would be curious to know the stamped, unstruck barrel weight and actual weight for those barrels.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #82
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Dear Sirs, After much thought I have decided to order my dream gun specs as follows
AA Hammergun circa 1905 28gauge 30" barrels of Whitworth Steel 0 frame, straight stock with exhibition walnut, skeleton steel but plate with leather inlay, double gold triggers articulating front trigger, extra long beavertail forend, frame to be engraved with gold pheasants and woodcock gun to weigh less than 7 lbs. Leather case with accessories, please advise auto shipping time. Gary Carmichael
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #83
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

PS, LOP 14-1/2" gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #84
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
Dear Sirs, After much thought I have decided to order my dream gun specs as follows
AA Hammergun circa 1905 28gauge 30" barrels of Whitworth Steel 0 frame, straight stock with exhibition walnut, skeleton steel but plate with leather inlay, double gold triggers articulating front trigger, extra long beavertail forend, frame to be engraved with gold pheasants and woodcock gun to weigh less than 7 lbs. Leather case with accessories, please advise auto shipping time. Gary Carmichael
Mr Carmichael:

We are pleased to receive your order and pledge to give it our utmost attention. Although we have phased out production of hammer guns, we are aware of your special status as a Parker hammer gun shooter and our agent, Mr. Gordon, assures me that we have the parts on hand to fill this very special order to your exact specifications.

Again, thank you for your order.

Faithfully,

Parker Bros
Unread 03-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #85
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well, here are some results to the highly non-methodologically correct survey. The results are confused because we had several orders that included more than one gun, more than one barrel set, and other multiple feature orders. I arbitrarily chose to use the first in those cases where more that one gauge, etc. was ordered. I'm sure things would be much different IF all orders were for just one gun, one gauge and one set of barrels. Oh, well. It was fun reading your orders and I appreciate everyone who played along.

Here's a broad thrown net of results (feature followed by number specified in parenthesis):

Grade: A1S (4); AA (3); A (5); B (6); C (2); D (5); G (2)
Gauge: 10 (4); 12 (4); 16 (4); 20 (9); 28 (8)
Barrel length: 34 (2); 32 (9); 30 (9); 28 (5); 26 (2)

Of the above, there were three Hammer guns ordered and one Single Barrel gun.

Two triggers was specified significantly more often than one.

Choking was hard to tally since some used letters and other exact measurements. My fault for not being more clear (about this and many other things, no doubt). IC/Mod seemed to be a common denominator.

Barrel material was not always specified, but some sort of fluid showed up about 5 times and Bernard 3. Other types were less than three.

Straight/Splinter seemed to be the most popular configuration, and light weight frames sought more frequently (except for those heavy 20s!)

So, what do we learn from this that we don't already know -- probably nothing.

It was nice getting to know more about each of you through your orders. Gosh, I wish I could inspect each of your orders as they are sent out. Can you just imagine getting the call or telegram from your local hardware store to come and get your gun (and no FFL hassle!). There's an anachronistic bent in each of us I suspect.

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to respond. If you don't get your orders it's because I decided to keep your gun rather than send it along. I did mention that somewhere didn't I?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #86
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

I am a patient man. Next week is fine.

Interesting survey
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #87
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

It was a lot of fun, thanks for doing it.
Unread 03-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #88
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
It was a lot of fun, thanks for doing it.
You, Sir, are a gentleman. I sure wish you could get that gun you so patiently ordered.
Unread 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #89
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Lets not get carried away Maybe I'll find it at the Southern. I usually come away with two from there
Unread 03-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #90
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

Definitely a nice little exercise. However, mine wasn't a special as others so you don't need to keep it. Please send it my way.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post: