Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

duck hunt
Unread 01-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default duck hunt

this past weekend i was taken up to north arkansaw close to the black river to hunt ducks with my grandson and his friend matt and matts dog named saddie......we left at 3 pm friday eveningand got there at 8 pm...the boys belong to a duck club up there and i was thier guest for the week end....we got up at 4 am and met our guide at a country store...got us a bisquit and cut out to the blind....it was a long and muddy ride through those rice fields...we got there at the blind at 6.00 it was raining the temp was 34 degrees and the wind was blowing hard....we were hunting flooded rice fields and we were next to a privite refuge...the geese were there by the thousands and so were teal ducks by the thousands also several mallards but not as many as the geese and teals...them geese got to really makeing a lot of noise at daybreak at about 7 am they took off toward us but they were high we only got 1 goose a snow....all the mallards stayed very high...finally a few teal came in we got 9 teal and 3 snow geese for by 11.00am...i was hunting with a p grade parker 32 inch barrels 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch chambers...it s a 3 frame some one lengthened the chambers before i got the gun and opened the chokes to modified....i assume to be able to use steel shot.....i used reo blue steel no 3 shot and fiouchi 3 inch bb shot....shot a coupla 3 1/2 inch shells too....the old parker did well i killed some of those teal at 45 yardsthe one snow i got was at about 50 yards stone dead too.....them bb will do the trick.....we had trouble with our ranger side by side out in that water it would barely go we took it to a ranger dealer ship in the town of noble...the seal on the belt drive was put on wrong at the factory....they fixed it free of charge...we then went back to the camp to dry out the old parker was really soaked.....we were back up at 4 am sunday morning we again met our guide and drove about 20 miles seem like it....we parked and unloaded the ranger and went about 5 miles to our blind the ranger was doing good in the water this time....we had the dog saddee with us this time she was ready....we got to the blind i got out and almost took a bath in that cold water....that mud was really slick....we loaded our guns and waited for a duck to come by here came a mallard by me at 15 yards i throwed up the old parker but could not get my safety to come on...was not the guns fault my hands were so cold they did not work to good have you ever done that...them bows hit that mallard but it went down a 150 yards out..... was not to long a big flock of snow geese came over and set down at about 300 yards they no more than set down they flew up and came straight at us flying low about 40 yards high i raised up the big parker and pulled the front trigger down that snow goose came....we each got a goose.....no more ducks or geese came by close so we quit at 11.00 again we wanted to be home by 5.30 and we made it....we did not shoot a lot but we enjoyed our selves andspending time with my grandson meant a lot to me....the old parker was a joy to use on those ducks...matt asked me if that old double barrel was a stevens the guide wanted to know what make of gun i was useing i said a parker brothers he said he had never heard of one...ha....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

I have never heard of a Parker having it's chambers lengthened to 3 1/2". Good thing it is a #3 frame.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,235 Times in 441 Posts

Great trip Charlie, better luck than I had at Reelfoot Lake last week. Anyway, you reference shooting steel shot in the Parker, I thought it wasn't a good idea, and actually didn't shoot mine because couldn't find any bismuth large enough for ducks. ??
Unread 01-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

its probably not good to shoot steel shot in most of these old guns....but so far i have shot steel shot thru a lc smith long range that has 3 inch chambers and modified chokes..i have used this gun for 3 years with steel shot on ducks with no problems or barrel problems....this was the first time to take the big parker 12 on ducks with steel shot she came thru with no problems...i would not recomend any body to shoot steel in their parker guns or any old double barrel....i feel like who ever lengthened the chambers to 3 1/2 inches and reamed the chokes to modified has done shot steel shot thru this gun.... who knows....this old gun weighs 10 lbs and handles the kick of the 3 and 3 1/2 inch shells real good....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote