Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

4 years ago
Unread 06-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 4 years ago

i had got interested in takeing a deer with the 8 ga and a round ball.... this ball weight 2 ounces even backed by 45 grains of bluedot powder....i got my gear together and jumped on the 4 wheeler and went to my shooting house which is on the ground...i loaded up the old lifter 8 with 2 pumpkin loads..i set the gun ona ledge cocked the right hammer. done this where the deer would not hearthe clicking of that hammer... i had settled in pretty good thinking its a coupla hours before them deer come out..what a surprize i had been there less than 45 minutes when a large doe came out..it took her about 10 minutes to getto about 20 yards from me...as she bit a bite of grass i said to myself when she raises her head i will take the shot..she lifted her head i had that big bead on her good i squezed the trigger........guess what that primer went off musta been a grain or 2 of powder went off here goes that round ball rolling down the barrel and flops to the ground..that doe was looking straight at me i know she was thinking whats going on..wish i could put the sound of that ball rolling down the barrel on here...rip rip rip....that doe got nerveeous stamped her foot and walked away..i had not decided to laugh or cry yet decided to laugh it was funny when it was over and i had time to think about it...i could have probably shot the doe with the other barrel but for some reason i did not...i learned a hard lesson make sure you put enough pressure on that ball while either roll crimping or glueing it in i had glued this one in... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

and no video?

great story Charlie
Unread 06-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

this evening i was looking at some of my old shells and i spotted one of the round ball loads i had made up 4 years ago..i got the shell out got the old lifter 8 ga out went and set me up a target at 25 steps...backed the hammer and bang she went made me fill good and had more confidence in my loading s of these old shells.. i figure our reloads can be like factory loads they can set up for years and still fire ok... i m going to see if i can get a little more acuracy out of this old gun about 30 yards is her range would like to stretch her out to 50 steps if possible...boy would i like to get one of them big hogs in my sights...charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

after getting laughed at by that big doe i decided i was going to get serious about takeing a deer with the round ball load...i practiced that summer a whole lot with the round ball load in the old 8 ga lifter...my load still was 2 ounce ball of lead and 45 grains of bluedot powder this is a very mild load.... i started at 50 steps shooting but accracy was not good about 8 inches high or low or too the left or right...moved the target back to 40 steps better accuracy but still not desireable...moved the target too 30 steps here i began to get good results about 4 inches from center up and down and sideways... i shot the old 8 till i was sure i could take a deer out to 30 steps and i did not have one dud shell in all that shooting.....all i had to do now was keep practiceing and wait till deer season..finally it was time to try the old 8 ga again i got in my stand one evening laid the ole 8 up on the shooting rack..i had been there about an hour when here comes a young doe it did not take her long to graze rite up to my stand.. i wanted a shot from 20-30 steps instead of the few steps she was from me..i was shooting down i already had backed the hammer so i sighted in at her back pulled the trigger never seen a deer die as quick as she did no twitching or movement of anykind....this was 3 years ago the last 2 years i have barely hunted anything on account of my health but my health as gotten way better thank the LORD...so my aim is to try to tak a deer again with the ole 8 and the pumpkin ball load also been playing around with the 10 ga with slugs useing gagemates shooting 12 ga slugs at 50 steps i have good accracy with them..but i want to get me a mould made and shoot round balls in the 10 ga.e. a fellow in the U K use to make brass moulds for the round ball he made one for my 8 ga i have lost his number and address does any one have his number or address......charlie
Unread 07-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Type in Jeff Tanner Molds in your search engine. You should get to his sight from there.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote