Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Against All Odds
Unread 06-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Against All Odds

Saw this other day from a completely different point of view. Trying not to get political but when John Wayne made his classic "The Alamo" picture he did it for many reasons but one of the main ones is that he wanted to make a point. He was sick and tired of the namby pamby attitudes prevailing in American culture at the time. He thought America stood for something that was worth standing up and fighting for like the great heros before that made our country. As far as politics he was clearly conservative but he respected the people that sometimes he did not even agree with.

For instance Richard Widmark, John Wayne cast him as Jim Bowie even knowing Widmark's opposite political views. They even almost came to fist-a-cuffs a few times when making the movie and Widmark wanted Wayne to release him from his contract but he would not do it because it was too late to reshoot at they were already way over budget, and mostly on Wayne's own dime.

This movie almost financially ruined Wayne because he mortgaged everything he had to make this movie. Here is the final scene. BTW what made me want to post this link is that if you watch it notice how many of the actors and extras are shooting left handed. It is amazing, even John Wayne is shooting left handed. I am guessing about 70% or more of the people in the film are depicted as left handed. I think it is really interestingly strange since even way back then an extremely high percentage of people were right handed. Maybe it was subconscious built in excuse if so many of them weren't shooting offhanded we beat Santa Anna at the Alamo. Seriously this has to be the biggest assembly left handed shooters that I have ever seen depicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLux126OJbY
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

The film was reversed. All of the guns have left-hand locks which did not exist. The Mexican soldiers are carrying their weapons left-handed in the charge. It was on TV tonight.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

No puns relating to Hollywood leftism should be tolerated on this Thread.
Unread 06-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
The film was reversed. All of the guns have left-hand locks which did not exist. The Mexican soldiers are carrying their weapons left-handed in the charge. It was on TV tonight.
I thought about that as well but can't wrap my mind how that make a difference unless its something like a reflection in a mirror trick. Maybe its a movie gaff and props guy had guns made with left handed locks in 1960. In early 1800's agree they did make make left handed locks on production military weapons. Actually in the family collection we have a Harpers Ferry musket with an 1823 date on it. I always wondered what history that gun has seen or been involved with. Wonder if it was in the Harpers Ferry armory when John Brown seized the facility.

Even then in the film there are plenty of right handed people shooting right handed right next to some left handed shooters. Anyway thought it interesting since I am a disenfranchised left handed shooter so it caught my attention.
Unread 06-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

A number of things on the film are reversed. The flag in the beginning maybe, the "magazine" sign board on the room, left hand locks on the guns. Can't imagine it was originally put out that way. Whoever digitized it put the reels on backwards.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 06-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yea I guess that could be right but still trying to wrap my mind around on how that works. Not an expert on film and how it gets picked up in digital format.
Unread 06-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Todd, check out the original film/video at the library and you will see what they are talking about.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote