Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

brass hulls
Unread 06-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default brass hulls

a while back i bought 3 remington umc best 12 ga brass hulls...the shells looked like new and they may have been...i asked the seller what kind of primer they used he said large pistol primers. i bought the primers and the 3 hulls i should have bought all of them...yesterday i picked out a what i thought would be a good load for them..i picked 19 grains of red dot powder and 1 1/8 ounce of lead shot... i poured the powder in then used 2 1/8 inch thick 10 ga wads over the powder then poured the lead shot in then usedanother 1/8 inch ten ga wading over the shot...i then set me up a dr pepper can at 30 long steps..i forgot to say this was no 6 lead shot..the gun i was useing was a single barrel h r 12 ga...my first shot put 10 holes in the can my 2nd shot put 14 shots in the can my 3 rd shot put 11 holes in the can...i then reloaded the shells again with the same load shot the can again but never counted the holes in can cause it was doing a good job on the cans..i then reloaded and fired three more shots at the can.. i had reloaed each shell 3 times there was not one off sounding shot gun had normal recoil and at 30 stepsit would have been even a good turkey round will try them at 40 steps next time...a fellow could add glue to the top wadding if you wanted to but for just shooting the 10 ga wads hold real tight... i had a hundred year old or better 8 ga brass shell and the pistol primers are the same as it.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I use a hot glue gun to secure the over shot card Charlie. Going two gauges up rather than one may make a big difference in holding power. You might put it on paper to see if there any holes in the pattern.

Kindest,
Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

harry i too use a hot glue gun on hunting loads..the 10 ga 1/8 inch card board wads are really tight in those hulls no trouble with shot falling out..i will try them on paper but it will really do good on the cans..this is a great and simple load if any one likes brass shells and by useing red dot powder no mess to clean up.... those hulls inside were a little dark after being loaded 3 times but still really clean....if i were shooting clays with these brass shells i would not have to glue the top wad in the wad really is tight....charlie
Unread 06-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I once read that if the shot goes through both sides of a tin can at 30 yards it will kill a rabbit.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

the shot is going thru both sides of the can but it is alumin can...this load seems to be on pare with regular light loaded factory shells...first time i ever heard about the can if shot thru both sides it would kill a rabbit...got to get me some tin cans....its raining here now or i would shoot at 40 yards and see how these loads pattern..one thing i know they go with a loud bang and no mess to clean up...charlie
Unread 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

If you are getting a hole in your pattern you might want to try a thin OS wad - .028. I once tried the thick ones and got a nice donut for a pattern. I read somewhere in the past that back in the day a thin OS card was recommended for good patterns. Believe it was a copy of a 1905 Sears catalog. They also said if you blow up a Damascus barrel shotgun it's because it was overloaded or an obstruction in the barrel, not because it's Damascus. Kind of neat reading that.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 06-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

will be a coupla days before i get to pattern the shells got to catch up on my grass cutting...the main reason i am useing the 1/8 inch thick wads is because i dont have to glue the wad..i would glue the wad if i was useing them for hunting plus i would use the thin wads..the red dot powder will defently work in the brass shells.... and burns clean in the brass hull and in the barrel....a squirl at 30 steps would be a dead squirl i believe the load will do good at 40 steps we will know soon...charlie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

this evening i got to pattern the brass shells with the thick 1/8 inch 10 ga wadding over the shot...i used a 9 inch paper plate for target stepped off 40 long steps...shot 3 times useing a full choke stevens double barrell b fox...the first shot there was 26 hits in the plate...2 nd shot there was 27 hits in the plate...3 rd shot there was 27 hits in the plate.....the shot was pretty welleven over the plate if the plates had been a dove or a quail they would have been hit good.... i will have to reload the shells again and try the thin wads over the shot and pattern at the same range and targets.....i was well pleased with the results...charlie
Unread 06-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

That sounds like real nice patterns. If I remember you had more luck with all brass shells than I did. You're gonna make me get out my old original brass shells and load them up and see what I get.
Unread 06-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

got the brass shells loaded again this evening same load i patterned yesterday..19 grains red dot 2 1/8 inch thick 10 ga wads over the powder then 1 1/8 ounce of lead no 6 shot then a thin 10 ga over shot wad used....maybe tommorrow i will get to pattern them...they gona have to pattern mighty good to bit the thick top wads...gun show saturday i hope the fellow i got these brass shells from has some hulls left i will buy more...charlie