Notices

Go-To Guns
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Go-To Guns

Photo Friday here and I thought I would show a few pictures of my everyday grab and go gun, a PHE 16ga. Nothing special except it is a family gun. I've had it since the 70's and I suppose well more more than 50,000 rounds have been run through it. Its still tight. I had DelGrego reblue the barrels and I steamed out dents and put some finish back on the wood long ago. It is now getting a new set of dents.

Its nothing special, its what got me membership in the Bottomfeeders Asso., but it always shoots well and is an all around gun. I've shot about everything with it, from ducks and geese in North Dakota to quail in Arizona. That's what I am holding in my whatever you call it picture at the left of me holding a prairie chicken in the Nebraska Sandhills.

Its shown with the ammo I use. All the discussion about chamber length made me think I should check, but then I thought better about it and nah, I'll just fire away.

Maybe others have everyday guns they could post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHE16ga_001.jpg (69.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg PHE16ga_002.jpg (69.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg PHE16ga_003.jpg (51.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg PHE16ga_004.jpg (55.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg PHE16ga_005.jpg (73.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Bruce Day; 09-11-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Thanks For Sharing....
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Carl Beers
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thanks For Sharing....

Bruce....your every day gun is better than my best gun. Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures. Always fun to see what others are doing with their Parkers. Hope Foto Fridays will get more action now that we're approaching the various hunting seasons....Best always, Carl Beers
Carl Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't know about that Carl, you have some nice Parkers and I know you are pursuing a 410. But thats all right. I have a personal in with the president of Minnesota Bottomfeeders and I can get you a membership recommendation.
Unread 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bruce, at least the go to gun is of the proper gauge.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

True, Dave. And I also own a BB gun and a 10ga so I have the Michigan boys covered from micro bore to big bore.

I'm going ruffed grouse hunting in October in Minnesota. Are there any secret grouse hunting tips from the Michigan boys I should know about or should I stay right by the truck, scratch myself with thorns and tree branches, trip and bark my shins, and pretend I was grouse hunting? That way I wouldn't get lost and I could drink a beer.
Unread 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just keep the dogs close, I hear the wolves are pretty hungry in October.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

"Go to" grouse gun.PH 16ga.26" Titanic barrels(it in a back issue of the PP)Started out as a 12ga. gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parkerph.jpg (104.8 KB, 47 views)
Unread 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

My go to Grouse gun is a 26 inch DHE 20 with little or no choke, straight grip, splinter forarm. The next is of the same configuration but a VHE 28 with 28 inch bbls choked skt in/skt out After these its what ever I feel like at the time. My goal this year is to shoot either a Grouse or a Pheasant with the 12 and 16ga lifter's.

Bruce take some light clothes, short barreled guns with little or no choke, some bandaids, mercurochrome (?sp..where is that spell check feature?) a box of 8's no Ive seen you shoot two boxes of 8's and have a great time. After a little close order drill in the Grouse woods those big open praries will be a piece of cake.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I too am heading for MN in October to grouse hunt with my go-to Parker gun (20 ga Repro). I would suggest the following training regime: Get on a tread mill at about 2 mph and have your wife repeatedly smack you in the face with a 1/2" thick willow switch for several hours per day. To cool down, sit under a tick infested cedar tree until 30 or 40 ticks have had a chance to set up shop. To practice shooting... try hitting some bottle rockets. Truth be known I love to grouse hunt, they are the king of all game birds, but the training is hell. Have fun Bruce and everyone else who is headed to the grouse woods soon.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fuller View Post
Get on a tread mill at about 2 mph and have your wife repeatedly smack you in the face with a 1/2" thick willow switch for several hours per day. To cool down, sit under a tick infested cedar tree until 30 or 40 ticks have had a chance to set up shop. To practice shooting... try hitting some bottle rockets. .
Truer words were never spoken!

But you will need someone to toss a log or branch in your way every ten steps to simulate some of the slash and blowdowns we encounter. Also, alternating with the willow switch should be some healthy blackberry vives and hawthorne branches. We need to get accustomed to bleeding a bit.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote