Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Pictures from Finland
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Pictures from Finland

I just thought some of you guys might enjoy seeing these.
They're from a post on the 16 gauge site.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8562
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Miles For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Surprised they didn't shoot the beaver too

Interesting and beautiful country - thanks Dave.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Thanks for posting them up Dave.I haven't been over on that site in a long while.
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

You grouse boys should appreciate those, the capercallie is the world trophy in that line with the black cock a close second.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

At least I have a more accurate name for the breed of dog that I hunt with. Oh, yeah, the pictures were great.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I dunno Destry... I don't shoot 1 1/4 oz. loads in my 28
Unread 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

They're hunted more like a turkey in a lot of areas, they stalk them while still on the roost. That one was obviously shot with a shotgun but I know they do it with rifles too. Not the most traditional grouse hunt but still quite a trophy.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 11-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Off the roost... a dreadful way of taking a trophy bird. Next it'll be nets and snares - what a testament to hunting skills and prowess, but to each his own I guess. Shooting a wild turkey off the roost is illegal in most if not all states but ruffed grouse, woodcock, bobwhite, pheasants and others do not enjoy such protection. I guess if you just hafta have the meat, all's fair - to each his own I guess.
Unread 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean,

That's a pretty high horse you're riding on there pal. Different strokes for different folks and all that my friend.

They're a big trophy in the few areas that you can still hunt them. Guys travel a long way for a small chance at a shot. The roost stalking is a very traditional way to do it, been done for as long as there have been guns I'd imagine, and probably even before firearms.

Here's an example of the different strokes for different folks thing. One evening, several years ago in Scotland, I and three other guns killed 40 widgeons over a baited pond after sunset shooting lead shot and I used an 8 gauge for part of it.

The next day those ducks were taken into town and sold to the game dealer for cash. If something like that happened here in the US, and the game warden ran onto you, it would make the national news. Outside of Aberdeen it's just another evenings shooting to the local wildfowlers.

On that same trip I shot geese under the light of the moon with an 8 gauge and lead shot. On a trip to Northern Ireland once we lamped rabbits at night shooting a rifle that had a silencer on it out of the window of a land rover.

Same deal, done here in the US, it's jail time. In the UK it's just how they do things. Are you saying that the boys over there aren't sportsmen then as well?

So yeah, lets cut the capercallie gunners some slack huh.....

Destry
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Dean,
That's a pretty high horse you're riding on there pal. Different strokes for different folks and all that my friend.
Destry
Hey, that's what I just said - what a coincidence

But seriously, there I go gettin' all judgemental. I really didn't mean to offend anyone Destry - I suppose we could all just keep our opinions to ourselves but what a dull forum this might be if it wasn't for the color of the different camps. I have no arguement with dusking ducks and geese - I've done it and loved it. Eight bores with lead is wonderful and traditional - selling game to the market is fine where it is allowed... no problem and no cries of "foul" from me. But please excuse me if I take exception to pot-shooting a wonderful gamebird asleep on the roost . . .

My horse is quite comfortable for me as I'm sure yours is for you and neither of us needs a stool to help us up onto them... yet