Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

turkey hunting
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default turkey hunting

well i got up at 4 am was in the woods by 6 am..it was a long wait this morning plus it was very cold and damp..i wore lots of clothing but evedently i did not wear enough by 10.00 i was about frozen..i had one of the best blinds i ve had in a while a nice bushy area alongside of a soybean field that had been gathered and a creek that ran just beyond the edge of the field..i never heard a gobble this morning so i stayed in the blind till 10.00thats when i heard a dog a running something well were nt long till i seen this big gobbler a pell melling it down the big field..i called to him and he stopped his run for a moment for a instance i thought he was comeing in to the decoys..but he was only resting for then he took off and i ai nt seen him since...well i said i m gonna stick out the hunt all day but at 12.00 i was so cold all i could think of was going to the house..on the way to the truck 3 big canada geese were in that soybean field they seen me walking out and did they ever voice there disapprovel of me being in there field they never flew...when i got home i turned the heater on high and it was 7.00 pm before i got warm again...it was in the high 30 s today here but its been a long time since i ve been that cold...i hated to give the hunt up today but heh there s tommorrow...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

well today i took off from hunting to do some nessary repairs on the lawn more and looked at some metal car garages..but will be back at it again at 4.00 am..gona go back and see if i can call up that big gobbler the hound dog was a running maybe he did not go to florida...charlie
Unread 03-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hope he has a cousin in Lagrange Ga.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,177 Times in 485 Posts

Charlie, if he makes it to Florida I let you know...
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

got up at 4.00 am and was in the woods a setting on my chair by 6.15 am...never heard a gobble..it should have been goose season about 15 big canadians flew rite over the top of me they were checking out the turkey decoys....i hunted till noon and had to pack up..i will be up early again in the morning these cold mornings are sure messing up the gobbling so far...charlie
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

took the day off to work on the farm instead of hunting today..there was a big frost this morning and now at2.20 its in the 70 s..any wayno work got done i loade up my 4 wheeler with steel fence posts and took off to the farm it s about 3 miles to the property as i went down a steep hill my 4 wheeler gave a big back fire through the muffler..i worked on it with what tools i had but i had no plud wrench with me..i think the carb.messed up and flooded and the plug quit fireing is my guess..it now sits down in the woods by it self..will have to hitch up my trailer and go get it and its in a bad place to boot...i shoulda just went hunting...charlie
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Today was a historic day as it was the first turkey hunt with three generations of Morrisons. Took the big eight with charlies shells. One gobbled early and we set up in a big thicket of bamboo shrubbery. Dad and Harry called with the gobbler for over an hour and he thought hard about it but was scared to come out of the open into the thicket. What can I say other than his fears were well founded. There will be a rematch though
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

little does that old big gobbler no that he better not stick around long that old 8 ga will reach out and touch him...great morning hunt...sometimes the old gobbler just can not be coached in...my dad called me yesterday evening and told me i was hunting in the wrong places..he said a big gobbler was in his front yard acting like he owned the place...was gona go hunting in the morning but i ve got a eye doctor appointment..charlie
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I was outside just after daybreak yesterday morning taking my setters for a run. A picked cornfield across from my house had 44 turkeys in it. Many gobblers strutting but I never heard a gobble.

About a week ago I saw a flock of 16 long beard gobblers together in the same field. Not a jake among them.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Ours are gobbling up a storm, but just not coming in.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote