Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

How to find out who did restoration?
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
rickey hughes
Associate in Waiting

Member Info

Default How to find out who did restoration?

I bought a completely restored VHE 16 bore. according to the serials it was a pistol grip. This gun has a straight stock. All external serials match and the work is first rate. The checkering on the stock is VHE pattern and all metal work is flawless. In any event I want to find out who did the restoration. The seller was a retail outlet and did not have any info on the gun. What clues would lead me to who did the restoration? Happy New Year by the way!
rickey hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Ricky, The only way to give an opinion would be for you to post some good quality pictures.
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,984 Times in 565 Posts

Rick,
Case coloring is many times and important clue. Some Restorers do have a signature in this realm, ie. Del Grego's cyanide coloring.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

While I doubt the retail store would give you the name of the previous owner they might agree to contact that person to ask what information there is on the gun to pass on to you. Possibly the previous owner would know or at least have a guess. A letter on the gun would be interesting as well.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

also - Doug Turnbull began stamping a mark on his restorations at one point, I believe its a small initial in a circle. One of his Parker restorations won a Concours event many years ago so he started the mark to prevent confusion. That being said his earlier works, such as the Fox he did for me, were not marked.

if you post pictures and the workmanship can be identified, you should be able to get confirmation from that shop with a serial number.
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

I'm not sure about the Turnbull stamp. I had originally heard that he would give a nominal discount to anyone who would allow him to stamp the restoration. However, I have had Turnbull work done since then and they mentioned nothing about the stamp or the discount. We definitely would help you if you posted good pictures.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I also have a 16 ga VHE, straight stock, that started off as a pg. I have no idea who did the work but it is top shelf in terms of fit and finish. I have had people tell me who they think did the work based on the wood used but that's all speculation. Post photos and who knows what you will hear.

On a related note I have heard an "urban legend" about one prominent gun smith who specializes in the restoration of Parker's who took advantage of the gaps in the Parker records and upgraded or reconfigured V-grades and passed them along as original. Not saying it's true but it's out there.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Early turnbulls guns that are stamped, will be stamped down in the cap of the water table where the locking lug would fit into. It will be small and may require magnification to see. But good pics will be nice.