Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Northwoods Rendezvous (A "Brooding" Indian Summer)
Unread 10-19-2023, 10:49 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Default Northwoods Rendezvous (A "Brooding" Indian Summer)

We are back in our old haunts in Northern Minnesota. As each season has its own character, this was has become another to remember. The weather has been, as it almost always is, the star of the show -- below freezing mornings followed by warmish, sun-filled days. It's hard not to stop and admire the country, but the dogs are seemingly immune to aesthetic musings.

And...we are finding birds. I've not tallied the flush/hour count yet, but on one afternoon walk with our puppy, Rill, we flushed 26 birds in two hours. We've encountered lots of broods, as many as 6 birds flushing from one location. Hard to keep your nerves when so many flush...and almost never at once.

This is Prairie Rill's first hunt. She did well on planted birds in our training sessions back in September, but she's still figuring out that there are wild birds in "them thar woods." She's made lots of progress, even making a short retrieve of a bird I managed to shoot for her. Aspen has picked up where he left off last season, and now, at 7 years, is in his prime. Having lost Alder back in July, there is still that emptiness that comes with a dog's passing, especially in the Cabin when we settle in for the night.

I've been using my 1904 DH 16. It's a heavy 1 frame gun with 26 inch barrels and needs spreader loads for the grouse woods, but it's a delight to take a bird with a gun with such history and character. I'm reminded of Craig L.'s recent thread about loving guns with good, honest wear. We'll switch guns next week to get some that sit in the safe a chance to make some memories.

I hope all of you who are able to get out this year with your Parkers and pups have success, however you measure it. Be safe...and post pictures and accounts of your hunts. I really look forward to those.

Photo Key:

1. Aspen has turned into a very fine bird dog, in spite of not having the bird numbers of his predecessors (nor the energetic handler they had)

2. Rill's first hunt has gone well, but not without its puppy moments. She is still figuring out this "grouse thing." Having good bird numbers is a blessing.

3. I managed to shoot three birds for her on a walk from which we flushed 4 broods and a total of 26 birds. To say she was excited is an extreme understatement. Pop would say, "she likes her birds!"

4. I love the patina on this old 16, and its short barrels...and, I really admire this color phase in a Northwoods grouse.

5&6. Although the weather has turned rainy, I'm grateful that we had some glorious weather days to savor after a long, hot summer of waiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4888.jpg (629.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4915.jpg (643.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4947.jpg (536.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4948.jpg (544.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4836.jpg (487.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4890.jpg (534.3 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2023, 01:00 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Wonderful pics! Thanks for taking us along to the Northwoods! Keep bringing the reports and illustrations!
Unread 10-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #3
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beautiful! Working a young pup this fall myself...the wonderment of discovery!
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2023, 07:08 PM   #4
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,033 Times in 442 Posts

Right on, great post Gary!
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post:
Unread 10-20-2023, 02:46 PM   #5
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Gorgeous!! Looks like an amazing trip!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 10-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Flush rates have come back down to earth, but we are still finding broods in good cover. The weather, with the exception of one rain day (which we desperately needed to rest tired legs), has continued its Indian Summer theme, and the color is distractingly beautiful.

We are in the middle of what we call the "Third Thursday Mayhem," when all of Minnesota's schools are out and large numbers of kids on four-wheelers hit the trails. We try to hunt around them, and take the chance to visit some of the local towns, but the woods are filled with "sportsmen" driving the trails with autoloaders at ready to bag a bird in the trail. It takes a day or two for the birds to filter back toward the trails.

Photos:

1&2. Yesterday started out at 30 degrees with fog. The woods were damp and quiet, and the birds were lingering on the roost. We got more action after the sun started to burn off the fog, but it was a beautiful time to be in the cutovers and pine plantations.

3. I included this wounded alder that I shot for Brian H. I bagged this tree while taking an "easy" straight away shot over a nicely pointed pair of birds. If you see the trees that might get in the way, you're not focused on the bird, so I'll take a dead tree every now and then (and yes, Brian, I know that alders are not legal )

4. Aspen is a sometime retriever. If he knows I see the downed bird, he thinks I should get it myself. But he'll help me when the bird is buried or hidden from view. We've agreed that this will work as long as he continues to point them for me.

5. Another bird from a brood, this one a black ruffed version. We've also seen more hares, which is a sign that the bottom of the grouse cycle is coming (if you believe the surmise of biologists).

6. I must admit to being smitten with the color of the Northwoods at this time of year. We have started taking our trips a bit later to hopefully avoid too-warm temps, and we often miss peak color. But not this year, and it's been hard not to stop and admire the Fall. Elaine and I say it's like walking through gold coins...and we are rich because of it.

7. The benediction to an 8+ mile day. After sun and clouds all day long, we got a brief shower and a sunset that made us stop to admire. Looking east as we headed back to the Cabin, we were gifted a rainbow. A perfect end to the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5004.jpg (574.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5002.jpg (546.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5011.jpg (539.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5017.jpg (582.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5026.jpg (562.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5044.jpg (525.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5056.jpg (570.3 KB, 1 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

I’m on Sand Lake from 0ct 21-28. We hunt some of the same areas. I’ll be in the woods or you can call me 8163057953

Bruce Day
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2023, 09:33 PM   #8
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 354 Posts

Garry
I just saw this post.Hope you're having as much fun as we are?
definitely try next season.
We had 30 flushed yesterday and before was awesome.Today we had good numbers but went after the woodcock because we could.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hayes For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2023, 12:22 PM   #9
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Your photos never dissapoint. You can smell the damp woods, and feel the cool autumn air just by lookin at these...... Very nice.
Unread 10-25-2023, 03:17 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Garry, fantastic as always!