Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-28-2023, 07:04 AM   #11
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

The Boss bismuth continues to be described by Ridge and others as copper plated. Is that correct or is it merely copper washed for aesthetics and marketing appeal?
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #12
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

I have wondered the same thing, Frank. I've combed their website looking for clues but can only find references to copper plating. I'm aware of the difference, and that in other settings, such as nickel plating, it is very hard to find true plated shot. I load a specialty load for doves with nickel plated shot from Precision Reloading that is specified as being true plating, electro-plated. I read somewhere once that they source it from Italy.

But, given the lack of specifics on the BOSS shot I wonder, like you.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2023, 09:19 AM   #13
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Good question. The author describes after the first trial that he found "several small flecks of copper plating" in the paper target. Looking at the picture provided by Jeff Stegmeier in the Fox Newsletter article, it appears that the small pieces are plated. The pieces described as "shrapnel" because of their broken condition-are " plated".

Alternatively, copper-washed bismuth pellets might possibly be better than plating,
as the surface treatment is very thin-closer to true bismuth alone.
It does raise another question: could the copper "plating" process itself be contributing
to the issue? Possibly the process could be causing the bismuth pellets to become
brittle, lending them to be more susceptible to the physics of velocity, mass and constriction of the choke. I do wish the author had used more of the Boss treated bismuth in other shotguns, rather than just the HE Fox. That said-the Kent pure bismuth shells still had the best performance in the 3-in Super of all guns in the pattern trial.

We are left with questions and few answers at present. The process Boss uses I do think may be a factor.
Unread 07-28-2023, 09:51 AM   #14
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The Boss shot shell company is located in Stephensville, MI. I contacted them
earlier today and they affirmed that their shot pellets are "copper plated"
in the U.S. Their company site emphasizes "copper plated" bismuth, even
stating their unique position in the industry with the process.
A Boss tech representative will be contacting me next week; he is out-of-town.

More to follow...like what is the company that does their shot "plating? {Stan and I have a dog in this hunt, as we both own Super Fox guns and have a few Boss shells.}
Unread 07-28-2023, 12:02 PM   #15
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ive never had an issue with those shells but if I were looking for "issues" i would guess the ultimate alloy matrix of the "bismuth" was more responsible for fracture than the copper.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2023, 05:53 PM   #16
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have "scrounged" bismuth shot from some strange sources for reloading. I once won an auction for four small bottles of SARCO bismuth shot samples, in different sizes, that had been pulled from the production line for testing, etc. I put it through the "pliers test" and it squeezed without cracking or fracturing, much like lead does. Don't know that I've ever opened a BOSS shell to do that, but it might be a good idea, for kicks and giggles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #17
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

The boss shot will fracture on the anvil, so will the shot ive gotten from bpi. ive never tried roto metals
but the boss shells sure smack ducks dead.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 07-29-2023, 07:34 AM   #18
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

I doubt Jeff used a microscope to confirm/deny thick copper "plating". Without an objective analysis who's to say the pellet flakes referenced in his report were flaked heavy copper or bismuth flakes with a copper wash .....I suppose you could call that thin electroplating. Just my thinking but when someone says plating I'm remembering the relatively thick chromium plating on steel automobile bumpers before they changed bumpers to polymers; if not done properly that chrome though relatively thick would flake off in strips with exposure and over time.

Another point I wonder about is if Boss uses relatively pure elemental Bismuth or an alloy like the 90% Bismuth/10% Tin composition as in the excellent Eley-Hawk non-tox shotshells. They tested well at various distances for efficiency (patterning) and penetration in dry pine.

Another question, as I understand it the USFWS has a list of approved non-tox pellets. If anyone is talking with Boss you might ask if Copper (a heavy metal) is on that list for use while waterfowl hunting.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
boss 3 in
Unread 07-30-2023, 05:10 PM   #19
Allen Peterson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default boss 3 in

Last year I patterned some Boss 3 inch out of my Fox wildfowl and Winchester m21 duck..Patterns about the same as lead. both kill geese. if there is fracturing, I have not noticed it hunting. The only gripe I have is the shells are beautiful but prone to corrosion in the blind bag. do not leave them in the blind bag after the hunt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canadas.jpg (533.0 KB, 1 views)
Allen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen Peterson For Your Post:
Unread 07-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #20
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

What exactly do you mean by "blind bag", Allen? Are you referring to the canvas bag that BOSS supplies free when you order case lots, or to something like a camo bag sold for transporting stuff to and from the blind?