Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #41
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Once again, I can't agree with you. You use words like "definitely" and "gospel" like there's no other opinion that matter's and that makes me suspect of your whole thought process. I have been collecting Colts, Winchesters, and Parkers, and ONLY those three makes for over 60 years. In my 72 years, I've met some of the best known collectors, and learned from each of them. Knowing what and how they have, and still do buy guns makes nothing but good common sense. There ain't no gospel according to anyone I know that says a pre '99 gun of equal condition is worth 20% more than a post '99 gun. Spend enough time behind your table at the Baltimore gun show, arguably the preeminent antique arms show in the east and you'll know this to be true.
Spend time on the Winchester Forum and you will see I am correct. Hell, the Red Book of Winchester values differentiates from pre and post 1899 values. There was an uproar of sorts when it was determined that Madis' serial number charts included way too many Winchesters as antique and collectors paid a premium for post 1898 guns.

I've been to Baltimore several times.

Quality always brings a premium pre or post 1898.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #42
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
If one buys 5 or so guns over 3 years is it worth it for the paperwork? I don't know as I've never looked into it and not something I considered before.
You buy a ledger bound book, in it you list the date, make, cal/ga, serial number, who you bought from and then a who you sell it to if you do sell it or trade it. That's it so yes it's worth it to me and many other collectors. Go out of state to a shoot like the Southern see a gun buy it and give them a copy of your license. You have certainly taken this thread way off your original question
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #43
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
That statement is absurd.
I am quite familiar with many advanced collectors of Colt and Winchesters. I am confident that none of them limit their interests to 'antique only' firearms.
No point in considering Henry's, and 1866 guns, or 1876 guns as none of them were made post 1898, however there were plenty of 1873, 1885, 1886, 1892, 1894 and 1895 guns made well into the 20th century.
Anyone who even casually follows the results of nearly any good auction company today, is able to see countless numbers of guns selling well into six figures, with no correlation to the BATF determantion of antique status

This caveat does nothing to diminish the flaw in your first statement, other than to say YOU would 'opt' for the gun without paperwork.
Okay, have I proved that I am correct? https://winchestercollector.org/foru...esters/#p92001
weight
Unread 04-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #44
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Talking weight

Circle of life: as younger shooter you don't have the strength to carry a 12 and as you get older you don't have the strength to carry a 12!!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #45
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Madis' serial number charts included way too many Winchesters as antique .
Ancient news. a few models were off by a year

Quote:
I've been to Baltimore several times..
As have I. This would have been my 25th anniversary had it not been cancelled.

Quote:
Quality always brings a premium pre or post 1898.
At last you've said something I can agree with.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #46
Ken Snyder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ian,
This is the Parker forum. Perhaps it is just my impression but your tone is becoming increasingly argumentative. May I make a suggestion? Take this for what it's worth in today's .02 valuation....

Arguing with senior members of this board sells the experience you could be having well short of its potential. Many of the gentlemen that monitor this forum are genuinely interested in helping anyone with an interest in Parker guns. This is the place to come and listen, to learn, to absorb history from all aspects as it pertains to the Parker Gun Company, the men and their creations. This is a "low noise to info" forum where the members do everything they can to stay on track and provide solid information to help both novice and advanced collectors widen their horizons.

There are other online forum options if you're cruising for a conflict.

Kindness and civility will always be welcome attributes anywhere you go.

Have a great day!
Ken
Ken Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #47
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Okay, have I proved that I am correct? https://winchestercollector.org/foru...esters/#p92001
Haha. It said so on the internet, so it must be true. I'm only going by experience buying and selling for 60 years, Not trying to make me feel better about my old guns.
I would be happy to put 20% on some of my pre 1898 1894s if you've got the money. My wife says I have too many pistol grip takedowns with set triggers anyway. Make her happy.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #48
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Ian please go away.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #49
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Ian please go away.
Nice! What a wonderful welcoming forum!

Other forums are much less obtuse.

Congratulations, I was contemplating your Parker DH for sale if I don't snag the one from my friend. Perhaps I'll look elsewhere!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #50
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Snyder View Post
Ian,
This is the Parker forum. Perhaps it is just my impression but your tone is becoming increasingly argumentative. May I make a suggestion? Take this for what it's worth in today's .02 valuation....

Arguing with senior members of this board sells the experience you could be having well short of its potential. Many of the gentlemen that monitor this forum are genuinely interested in helping anyone with an interest in Parker guns. This is the place to come and listen, to learn, to absorb history from all aspects as it pertains to the Parker Gun Company, the men and their creations. This is a "low noise to info" forum where the members do everything they can to stay on track and provide solid information to help both novice and advanced collectors widen their horizons.

There are other online forum options if you're cruising for a conflict.

Kindness and civility will always be welcome attributes anywhere you go.

Have a great day!
Ken
Y'all were increasingly argumentative and refused to even acknowledge that antique firearms might sell for more than a comparable one. Then when I provided at least a shred of evidence, y'all sneered.

What a bunch of self absorbed know it alls.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post: