Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

State of Confusion...
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Don Fields
Forum Associate

Member Info

Red face State of Confusion...

Hello to all. I'm new here, and the new owner (I think?) of a Parker GH 12 ga., vulcan barrels, 28 inches. My question(s). The serial # on my receiver is not the same as the one on the barrels. Date for receiver shows 1897 with Parker Special barrels. Date on barrels shows 1903 w/ Vulcan barrels. Have I been taken? Thanks!
Don Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Don,I would think that if the "factory" had fitted a set of Vulcan barrels to your gun they would also be serial numbered to the frame.

Parker Special steel barrels first appeared in the 1907 catalog...10 years after your gun was made.

The vast majority of GH guns featured damascus barrels. Could you provide us with a serial number of your gun?
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Don, I have a GH with a beautiful stock with Trojan barrels. I knew it had Trojan barrels but I bought it anyway for the stock. I thought one day I might find a Special Steel barrel to put on it. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Hello Don and welcome aboard, I guess it all depends on how you look at things whether you have been taken or not, if the seller advertised the gun as a GH and all original and you paid a price to match ,then I would say you were duped but if the gun was advertised as a " Project " gun and / or non original,and the price was far less than you would expect to pay, then,you probably bought yourself a good hunting gun ! None the less if you are planning on keeping this gun and shooting it you should have it checked out by a competent gun smith to make sure it is safe to shoot because some one along the line fitted those Vulcan barrels to the gun, mind though most of us own at least one of these " Project " guns and if done right some of them are our favorites, you can use them and don't really need to be overly concerned about them and just really enjoy shooting them !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Don Fields
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave,
The serial numbers are as follows:
Barrels:140503
Receiver: 78681
I purchased this Parker from a dealer on GunBroker. He told me the barrels had been changed from twists to vulcans and indicated that the fitting had been done by Parker Bros. The fit is outstanding, lock-up is straight and true, and every component fits and locks smooth and snug. I have trouble imagining it being any better! I am very satisfied with it, I just want to be sure of what I have. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Don
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I've got a GH 10 gauge with Vulcan barrels, somebody sent it back to the factory for them after the fact. Never say never till the gun has been seen.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Don Fields
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry,
I know probably everyone here has a story about why they are fans of Parker SXS. Mine is memories of my grandfather. I was 9 when he passed, but I remember going to milk with him, (getting in the way), his roll-your-own cigarettes, and going squirrel hunting with him and his Parker. I was hooked, and now, by the grace of God, I can own my own Parker.
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Don,The "Parker Serialization Book" lists 78681 as a grade 2(G) damascus 12 gauge with 30" barrels and capped pistol grip stock.

Enjoy the gun and use it for what it was intended
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Nothing like squirrel hunting, my second favorite after ducks/geese. Back when I still lived in Southern Illinois, hunting season officially started on August 1st with the opening of that season.

It would be so hot you couldn't breath in the woods but they'd have started sampling hickory by then and you might catch them in the choke cherry trees too. We'd never miss the opener, then once the real nut cutting started, you couldn't keep us boys out of the timber till duck season opened.

I've still got my first double, it ain't a Parker, but it's sure killed a heap of squirrels. My grandpa was a bird hunter, it was Dad that took me on my early squirrel hunts and bought me that gun. I'm glad to say they're both still with me and both still hunt. Grandpa was 91 on our birthday (June 10th)and he'll be out with us on opening day of dove season the good Lord willing.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

If a new or second set of barrels was fitted to your gun at the Parker Bros. factory they would have been numbered to the gun. I have this 1889-vintage GH-Grade damascus barrel 12-gauge that was back to the factory and fitted with a set of Vulcan Steel barrels and they are numbered to the gun and the forearm loop and forearm iron for thos barrels have a 2 stamped on them in addition to the correct serial number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big 20 04 5x7.jpg (60.0 KB, 119 views)
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote