Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
G., the 28 serial numbers began with a "28", whether a one barrel set or a two barrel set. There are no 20-28 sets. The 28 was built on the 00 frame and the 20 was built on the 0 frame. They do not fit back and forth. The 16-20 set was made from a 20 gauge gun and the serial number begins with a "20". The 28 inch barrel gun is hard to find for sale and sells for more than the 26 inch barrel gun. For future collector appreciation, the best buy is a two barrel set that includes a 26 and a 28 inch barrel set.
Thank-you for the reply,Bill.

From what I understand there was a Winchester Parker DHE small gauge combo,with 28 gauge and .410 barrels.I will assume that the serial numbers for these shotguns began with 28 as well.

In a book that I started reading today there is a section about the Winchester Parker.There is a picture of a Winchester Parker 28 gauge that has a serial number of 28-4037.If the serial numbers started at 1 this would seem to indicate more than 3500 28 gauge shotguns being produced.Does anyone know what serial number the 28 gauge Winchester Parker shotguns started with?

The book also states that DHE,BHE and A-1 Special grades were listed for the 28 gauge.The last two grades were offered between 1987 and 1989.Any thoughts on this?
Graham Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sounds right to me. I found my January/February, 1990 issue of Shooting Sportsman magazine, in which Reagent Chemical and Research (owners of the company; Winchester was contracted to make the guns at Olin-Kodensha in Japan) advertised that the guns were discontinued as of December, 1989. They claimed to have many unsold guns, as well as spare parts and extra bbls to last for years. Alas, a flood at the warehouse damaged the spare parts which were then never sold (liability?). There were, however, many closeout guns which sold for less than MSRP right after the company closed. Great bargains; I wish I had bought a few . After 20 years, the guns have barely doubled in value, which is quite a bargain considering inflation and how much some other guns have gone up in value in the same time! And by the way G., FYI, they are more commonly referred to as Parker Reproductions (or Repros), not Winchester Parkers.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288
This might help with your serial # questions. The 20/16 ga 2 bbl sets were numbered 20-XXXX, the 28/.410 sets were numbered 28-XXXX.
By the way, I hate calling you "G". What is your first name. I believe the forum rules require your "real first and last name."
Joe

Last edited by Joe Bernfeld; 08-03-2009 at 12:05 AM..
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
By the way, I hate calling you "G". What is your first name. I believe the forum rules require your "real first and last name."
Joe

Thank-you for the information,Joe.

Most everyone calls me by my last name,Mason.There are a few who call me Mace, as a nick name.

I called the reproductions Winchester Parker as I assumed there were other reproductions besides the ones made by Winchester ,I just wanted to be clear that I was not referring to those.It would appear that the Winchester ones are the only Parker reproductions ever manufactured?
Unread 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Mace(if I may call you that) There currently are Parker 28 gauge guns being made by CT Shotgun Mfg.Co under contract for Remington Arms. They are AAHE grade guns and a bit pricey at $50,000.
They are advertised as new Parker shotguns not reproductions.
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Remington began a reproduction project that was soon abandoned. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I think only two or three prototypes were ever completed and none were ever offered for sale by Remington.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Ya Dean Remington announced in 1988 they were going to reintroduce the Parker Gun in a 20ga. AHE by 1994 the project was dead with supposedly about a half dozen guns built if memory serves...
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,158 Times in 823 Posts

Hello Mr. Mason,

As I stated in my e-mail to you - please either post or PM me your real first name.

Thank you,

John Dunkle
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #18
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

When Remington was trying to reintoduce the Parker in the late 80's I believe they had one liabilty concern regarding the original Parker's failure to pass what was referred to as a "Slam Test", which I think delt with the safety system. As a result, Remington was planning on modifying the original design to pass the test (not sure if the test was an industry standard, or simply a Remington in-house requirement. Does anyone know if the Repros were modified in a similar manner?
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
When Remington was trying to reintoduce the Parker in the late 80's I believe they had one liabilty concern regarding the original Parker's failure to pass what was referred to as a "Slam Test", which I think delt with the safety system. As a result, Remington was planning on modifying the original design to pass the test (not sure if the test was an industry standard, or simply a Remington in-house requirement. Does anyone know if the Repros were modified in a similar manner?
What is the "Slam Test?"
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Seems to me that I saw at one time a new 28 gauge Remington Parker being raffled off or something in a Ruffed Grouse Society magazine.