Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 12-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Two years ago while on a deer hunt locally here in Plymouth, Ma I was sitting on the ground waiting for the drivers to come down the hill. All of a sudden and without making any noise a very large coyote popped out in front of me. I shot it with my 50 cal. muzzleloader and dropped it in its tracks. When I walked over to it, my first thought was oh God, I just shot someone's German shepherd. Had all the coloration and size of a big dog but upon further inspection it was a confirmed coyote. I'd shoot every one. We have them run through our neighborhood frequently and a small dog was taken recently by coyotes. I don't let my setter outside without me being present for that reason.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

over the years, I have called up several coyotes and killed them while turkey hunting. Once I saw a group split the yearling of the the doe and give it the run for its life. Coyotes lost. Have killed 2 so far this deer season.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Hope who ever took the picture had a gun with him, for two reasons first to kill off a few coyotes and to put that nice deer out of his misery! I personally shoot everyone I see or try to and my neighbors do the same but it does not seem to reduce the population much, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

The coyotes are just doing like the rest of us and trying to stay alive. I like that they have really cleaned out the feral/barn cats around here.I am aware that they are known to take dogs and have attacked and killed at least one human being.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Removing a few coyotes from the gene pool only serves to increase the number of cotote pups in a healthy local population. I have read studies on this. Unless you exterminate nearly the entire local population killing a few, even every one you see, their numbers will only increase to the level that their food sources allow.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

Quote:
They will kill and eat ANYTHING they can, including your best bird dog or your aging Lab let out just before bedtime to empty his bladder and sniff around the dooryard before coming in for the night. This happened to a good friend's 11 year old black lab - one of the best waterfowl dogs in Essex Co. a few years back.
Cougars have done the same things in my neighborhood. Our neighborhood is full of Whitetails and that is the Cougars normal food. But, a dog is certainly a target of opportunity. When I was growing up there was a bounty on them and you never saw one. Now, of course, they are protected and you know the rest. I don't let old Skitso out alone.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #17
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

If I had a rifle and saw that deer season or not I'd have put him down then started on the coyotes. A friend shot a nice 4 pt with an 18.5 inch inside spread, the buck had no brow tines. He didn't get the best hit and we found him the next morning the problem was that the coyotes found him the night before. You could see the battle he fought by the tracks.

Coyotes are bad but the wolves esp in the U.P. are worse. If you leave a wounded deer overnight forget it.
Unread 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

I am confused by the comments of Robert and Dean. Should we shoot the odd coyote or should we not? In my neighborhood, coyote hunters are quite successful, but I have never seen one. What do I do when I see one? I'm not exactly a newcomer in my county, having hunted here for sixty years.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

If you see a coyote and you have a firearm make the introduction. In other words shoot on sight.
Unread 12-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I am confused by the comments of Robert and Dean. Should we shoot the odd coyote or should we not? In my neighborhood, coyote hunters are quite successful, but I have never seen one. What do I do when I see one? I'm not exactly a newcomer in my county, having hunted here for sixty years.
Shoot 'em Bill - shoot 'em dead.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote