Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Rosewood cleaning rod??
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Rosewood cleaning rod??

I have seen several Parker Reproduction shotguns, both single barrel & 2 barrel sets, but have never seen a cleaning rod with any of them. Also I have only seen one oil bottle. Half of the cases that I saw didn't even have the oblong brass retaining clip to hold the rosewood rod in place. Did they all originally come with cleaning rods?? If so, did they all get canabalized and sold on eBay?? If anyone has ever seen a cleaning rod for sale please write. Also, were the rods stamped with "Parker Reproduction"?
Thank you, Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Bill,

I own a Parker Reproduction with a case and case cover that came with a key and snap caps but no bottles or cleaning rod. I have since added a cleaning rod. I am the original owner so I assume they came configured the way I received mine. After reading your post I went to the Parker Reproduction advertising over on the Grades web page and clicked to enlarge the pictures with cases in the background and only one picture showed a bottle in the case; and that was for an A1S Repro.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Quail1
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have 2 guns with the oil bottles, and 2 sets of cleaning rods. I just now looked and the oil bottles are marked "PARKER Reproduction" on the caps. The rods are not marked but are identical. Both rod sets are 2 piece, and have 3 tips. Cotton swab, brass brush, and nylon brush. In both cases I believe I purchased the guns from original owners that bought the guns prior to the closeout sale. I have other sets that have only the snap caps.
I don't believe that the oil bottles or the cleaning rods were originally included in the sale. Maybe sold as accessories. I have owned a number Repro's now and looked at many more. Seldom see the bottles or the rods. I did purchase about 8 extra sets of 20 and 28 gauge snap caps at one point that are marked, wrapped in tissue and in small cardboard boxes. I believe I read the Skeuse's added them to the gun packages on the closeouts.

I would add that I am a "fan", not an "expert". Maybe Mr. Skeuse will see your thread and be able to comment.

Fred

Last edited by Fred Lowe; 05-14-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Fred Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

On the cover of the Repro brochure is shown a silver oil bottle with cap stamped "Parker Reproduction". These were standard accessories with at least the high grade Repros and available by special order on the others. All Repros to my understanding came cased with Parker Reproduction stamped snap caps, as mine did in 1987 when I bought it new. I understand that sometimes the so stamped oil bottles or snap caps can be picked up.

I am not aware of any marked cleaning rods.

During the 1980's and 90's, a shooting buddy, Dave Parker, imported about 60 sterling silver square oil bottles from England stamped on the cap Parker Bros, and sold them for $45 each. He advertised them in the Double Gun Journal when it started and then later in the PP's, and it took him quite a few years to sell them. I have one if anybody needs photos, and should have bought more. I have not seen one publicly available in years.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 05-15-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

As far as I know the cleaning rod & oil bottle were add-ons for the DHE guns. Cape outfitters had several accessory kits (bottle, cleaning rod, mops & brushes) which they offered for years after the close out days. As I remember it they were selling these kits for $110.00 and had a tough time moving them. You did have to watch them though some of them had Parker Reproduction Stamped on the cap of the oil bottle and some didn't. I suspect they ran out of the oil bottles and added a plain bottle to try and sell the overstocked cleaning rod kits.

It took me a few years but I finally put together full sets for all of my repro's.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I bought two new DHEs during the closeout period, no oil bottles, no rods.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
anthony schembri
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi
I just got a parker repro-28 gauge, 28 inch barrels, S/G English forearm.
I am looking for an oiler and a cleaning rod-can anybody help
anthony
PS its a beauty!
anthony schembri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jeff's Outfitters has very nice gun case accessories.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Wasn't that long ago that Jeffs had Parker snap caps for sale. Buyer beware; I have a Parker snap cap that is oversized and will only fit in my Remington hammer gun that has chambers .010" larger than any Parker I own.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
... I have one if anybody needs photos...
Bruce: I would like to see a picture of that. I'm in the process of building a rosewood box for the cleaning rod that was recently built for me. I will build in some compartments for accessories as well. Thinking I might do some inlay, carving or burning on the lid "Reserved for Parkers Only".

Cheers,
Jack