Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Question on Gun Sales
Unread 04-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,067 Times in 280 Posts

Default Question on Gun Sales

I've bought quite a few guns on the internet and I've never really run into a problem like this before. I saw a gun on GunInternational that I thought was nice. I knew the seller from this site and other sites and have had dealings with him before. Made an offer on the gun with specific terms of a three day, non-firing inspection because he said he didn't have tools to properly measure barrel wall thickness, etc. He quickly agreed to these terms all done in email, so there is a record. I received the gun today and it looked as expected. When I threw it to my shoulder it felt a little funny lining up so I looked at the cast and to my surprise it is cast on. I got out the equipment and it is over 1/4 inch cast on for the left hand shooter. Quickly emailed him and told him I would be returning the gun and why. He said he wasn't aware of the cast but he was not going to accept a return because he didn't know it was cast on. He said I'll refund $300 so I can get it bent which I'm not willing to take the chance on and don't want to do. He still says he won't accept the return. I told him he had until tomorrow to agree to the return or I'll take further action. Again, there is email to back all of this up and if not agreed upon by tomorrow I'll do just that. Was buying this gun for a good friend/customer and he knew that and I said he would need time to inspect the gun. No way my friend wants a left hand side by side for $4200. Any suggestions gentlemen? I really don't want this to get ugly but I'm not going to let this go without some retaliation.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That happened to me once. I bought a nice 26" Daly Superior grade from a well known major dealer and was told it was neutral cast. Jeez, when I got it you could see from 20ft away that it was cast on for a leftie and when I called them they denied it. The guy blathered on about how good their smith was and how he knew how to measure a gun. And this is big dealer that everyone is familiar with. I ended up selling it to a left handed friend/shooter. I can tell you I no longer believe a thing I read in the gun descriptions on that site. Were I you, I wouldn't hesitate to file a complaint if that is a option.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Sounds like you are getting set up for a good screwing.

The situation is surely unacceptable. Stock dimensions are what they are. Without question. And if something like that is not advertised or advertised inaccurately, then there is an issue. If cast is not mentioned in a description. It should be safely assumed that it is neutral.

And a non-firing inspection period usually does imply that a return for any reason is allowed. And usually shipping is not part of the return. So worse case, the buyer looses on shipping both ways.

I hope that things work out for you though. If not, I am sure you will have recourse theough GI. I know they take stuff like that seriously.
Unread 04-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

This person is a member her and I trusted him. I’ll take every recourse starting tomorrow and that includes calling him out on this site. He has bought and sold enough guns to know about cast of a stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerry Addison For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,658 Times in 1,854 Posts

Gerry don't hold me to this but I seem to recall that Guns International has some sort of a policy in place to ensure that these transactions are handled appropriately. Whether I am right or wrong on that along the same lines I would certainly suggest that you contact Dave or Deb Powell who own GI and discuss the situation with them. Surely they would have some valuable insight on your situation. They're good people.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,658 Times in 1,854 Posts

Go to the FAQ,s and there is a return policy there.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #7
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am calling them first thing in the morning. Can't believe this is happening. Here is a shot of the measuring of the cast on which is more than 1/4" and is clearly seen with the naked eye. In fact, I noticed it as soon as I threw the gun to my shoulder. Again, it was clearly agreed to in writing there was a three day non-firing inspection period and he was notified within an hour of receipt of the gun. There were some other issues as well but I would have dealt with them, like the drop at comb was stated as 2 1/4" and it actually measures 2". Was told the finish was original but it has had coats of finish added. Those were bad enough but a left hand stock!

Unread 04-02-2020, 01:49 AM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,526 Times in 3,400 Posts

I realize this don’t remedy the situation, but did you look under the trigger guard to see if the number stamped in the wood matches the serial number ?
Unread 04-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #9
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gun in question is a Francotte 20E. There is no question the stock is original to the gun however the letter from Bob Beach on this gun which is in the records at Griffin and Howe indicates original stock dimensions were 1 1/2 X 2 3/4 X 14 1/4. In his listing, and on the phone he said the dimensions now were 1 1/2 X 2 1/4 X 14 1/4 and that he felt the change was merely a transcription error. No mention on the order or by the seller that it was cast on. I was fine with 2 1/4" of drop at heel so I would have been good if it were simply an error. However when I measure the stock it actually has 2" of drop, not 2 1/4 and is cast on. A layer of finish has been added to the stock (can easily see brush or rag streaks in the finish) and the wrist area is very dull probably caused by the bending process the gun has gone through and thus the reason for the added finish. I have agreed to pay for the shipping both ways to get out of this mess, but he flatly refuses saying he will return only $300 to help pay for the bending of the stock. As we all know bending a stock is tricky at best and might work, might not. The bend might stay, it might go back to the original cast on position. Or, it might crack! Not a gamble I'm willing to take. Gun is nice other than this issue and would make some lefty a very nice upland gun. Just not something I'm willing to deal with.
Unread 04-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

It really bothers me every time I read of this type of transaction. I have bought guns from well known dealers that were described as "untouched original condition" only to find that they were not original condition guns. Chambers lengthened, bulged barrel repairs and wood re-finishes are three that come to mind. I am a businessman. I have been successful by being honest, forthright and a person of integrity. I wish those principles were followed by everyone but the greed factor often seems to win out. It really bothers me and I am just about to the point of only buying Parkers from friends that I know and trust.