Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,065 Posts

Seems to me that at the time of acceptance they should say "Doesn't meet our packaging requirements, can't insure, ship as is at your own risk, or re-package it." If they do in fact accept it, and insure it, then they are saying it passes their requirements, and therefore they accept responsibility. I'm not an attorney and don't even play one on the radio, so whatta I know. I know they got deeper pockets than the rest of us, but I'd guess a good attorney could get them to pay up, and it would probably only take a letter. Might cost you more than it's worth, however, which is what most claim denials are all about anyway.
Unread 03-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Fed-ex and UPS will ship tires with just a label slapped on them... just sayin.

A funny story along the lines of things being in boxes.
I bought about 50 stock blanks from the estate of a deceased gunsmith not long ago. Most of them were from the 1960s.
There were two or three very high quality Myrtle rifle blanks that were still addressed and had the postage stickers (from the mid ‘60s) on them from when he bought them from the dealer.
The postal service just mailed the blank as it was. No box or nothing. I chuckled when seeing that.
I’ve shipped several guns in wooden boxes and UPS wouldn’t accept unless we covered the boxes with cardboard . We’ve also had several broken things with UPS and so far (knock on wood) we’ve come out ahead of the game . Not to say that won’t change the next time but so far so good .
Unread 03-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Brownell’s used to ship parts in nice white cardboard reusable boxes , then all of a sudden it stopped . Seems they had a uproar with UPS or USPS and they stopped seems they were told these boxes weren’t strong enough . Now they send stuff in FLIMSY sloppy padded envelopes with the parts flopping around inside . But that crap meets specs
Unread 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #14
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

When you purchase insurance for ANYTHING, it’s critical that you understand and follow the terms and conditions exactly (ie the fine print). And sometimes you really need to hunt to find it. This is where they spell out their liability. It’s really the only way you can defend yourself if you have a claim.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #15
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Claims and liability aside.

Few shipping companies own the long distance conveyance. It’s contracted out to trucks or rail-truck piggyback & less often airplanes. Trailers are 9 feet high inside and packages are stacked without regard to packing or continents. Your package could be on the bottom or top.

Only defense is good packaging, and the best is not always good enough.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #16
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Claims and liability aside.

Few shipping companies own the long distance conveyance. It’s contracted out to trucks or rail-truck piggyback & less often airplanes. Trailers are 9 feet high inside and packages are stacked without regard to packing or continents. Your package could be on the bottom or top.

Only defense is good packaging, and the best is not always good enough.

William
but, i think the point here was that the outside packaging was not damaged, but the barrels were
Unread 03-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #17
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Several years ago I started a thread about a Parker I had shipped UPS on the old forum. I think it was titled They Broke My Gun. The stock was broken at the wrist when it arrived at a wrong destination in the wrong state. I was forewarned my claim would be denied initially and it was. Seems they deny claims out of hand. In fact UPS told me they don’t even ship guns. So, I filed a claim in Small Claims Court against UPS. I won, they paid up. No attorney’s fees.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 03-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

When shipping barrels only I use a rigid PVC tube with a cap glued on one end and PVC/NPT cap on the other end and when I tighten the NPT cap in place I drill and safety-wire it in place.
Then I put the sealed tube inside a long triangular cardboard shipping box and in the “To” address I never use the word “gun” or “firearm”.... sometimes just using the name of the owner and the business address without the business name.

Sounds like overkill but it has always worked well for me.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

i had a stock broken a few years ago ...i just fixed it myself and hoped it would not happen again so far so good...some times these boys pay and sometimes they dont....i m glad these barrels were able to be fixed....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #20
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use the PVC inside a cardboard box too. Leave space around the PVC for compressible padding like Peanuts or bubble wrap. It’s about the best I can do. Go inside one of the mechanized distribution centers watch conveyor belts & forklifts working fast as they can. Workers are monitored on production something falls off the belt they get no credit for stopping to pick it up. Call a supervisor is the best they can do.

I worked for shipowners in various capacity’s whole career. We never touched any cargo ourselves all handling with contractors one way or the other. Most times little choice available labor or terminals. Many years I had “commercial settlement” claims authority . Some rejected by the claims department elevated to my desk. I looked at who filed the claim & the circumstances. Big customer one thing small shipper or low paying freight another.

One thing that always got my attention was legitimate threat of a lawsuit. Test was would a reasonable person think it was our fault. We avoided lawyers, Claimant or our own, if at all possible. If the claim amount was within my authority level always paid rather than go to court.

It’s a gamble no matter how you look at it.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: