Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

English doubles
Unread 03-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
Garhart Stephenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default English doubles

Does anybody here have experience with guns crafted by the less known British makers? I have noticed that most boxlocks are built on the same Anson and Deeley action. The guns I have looked at seem very well built, fairly lightweight, and often have a straight grip stock. I am considering purchasing my first english gun.
Garhart Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

there were many parts makers in Birmingham that supplied the trade, so those parts may be seen in many maker's guns

and some of the name makers would supply actions to other builders

sometime patents can give you a clue

when it comes to the small makers - i would say its best to evaluate each gun on its own merits
Unread 03-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I have an HJ Hussey "Imperial" that in terms of fit, finish and quality, compares to pretty much all well known English makers. Often times these other makers were hired to make guns for the same families who bought guns from Purdey, Holland, Boss, etc, for "lesser" members of their families and that's especially true for boxlocks.

If you are interested in a British gun, you really do need to do research. As much as the market for American doubles is depressed, the market for English guns is even more so and so deals can be found. The biggest challenge in finding a British gun in the US is finding one that hasn't been shot to death or otherwise abused.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I have six or eight English guns, and all but one are hammer guns. I will say this, that compared to my American guns, the English guns are in general sturdier.
Unread 03-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garhart,

The A&D guns are pretty tough guns. When buying a British gun make sure the gun is still in proof. Guns out of proof take a big hit on price. If you are looking at Brit guns, The British Boxlock by Diggory Hadoke is a good book to pick up. Prices for lesser known makers should be a lot lower than well known makers.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,194 Posts

I'm sure John Campbell will chime in soon.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Mr. Stephenson:
I invite you to take the plunge and try an English gun!

But please make sure it's in good shootable condition, so you won't be saddled with extra refurbishment expenses to take it afield. Many of the grand English guns have suffered a diet of stout American ammunition, and that puts a great strain on a gunstock that's 100 years old or so.

Barrel wall thickness is another issue. This should be checked by a competent double gunsmith. Be circumspect of any wall thickness under .025 inches, although a bit thinner toward the muzzle might be okay. A reputable seller will be your best bet for all this.

In fact, I've noticed that Mr. Peck has a nice "starter" sidelock for sale on our For Sale forum. It might be one to consider. But generally, a sound A&D box lock is going to be a first-timber's best bet. Good luck!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Garhart Stephenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ken, please elaborate on "out of proof". From what I understand, in England, a shotgun is out of proof if the internal measurements vary more than .010" from the original dimensions stamped on the barrel flats, correct?

One of the top candidates I am considering is an english 16 ga., originally nitro proofed for 1 1/8 oz./ 900 bar with factory 2 3/4" chambers.
Garhart Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes the barrels are in proof as long as they are within 10 thousandths of the latest proof mark. I'm not sure on the 2 3/4" chamber mark. A 2 3/4" 12 would be marked as 1 1/4 oz vice 1 1/8 oz. 900 bar is correct for 2 3/4".

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Mr. Stephenson:
I invite you to take the plunge and try an English gun!

But please make sure it's in good shootable condition, so you won't be saddled with extra refurbishment expenses to take it afield. Many of the grand English guns have suffered a diet of stout American ammunition, and that puts a great strain on a gunstock that's 100 years old or so.

Barrel wall thickness is another issue. This should be checked by a competent double gunsmith. Be circumspect of any wall thickness under .025 inches, although a bit thinner toward the muzzle might be okay. A reputable seller will be your best bet for all this.

In fact, I've noticed that Mr. Peck has a nice "starter" sidelock for sale on our For Sale forum. It might be one to consider. But generally, a sound A&D box lock is going to be a first-timber's best bet. Good luck!
Probably what happened to the Bonehill 10 ga I had , someone at one point lengthened the chambers to 3.5" .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote