Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #31
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Gregory,

I completely agree with your comments about Colts and Winchesters, particularly ones with western provenance. I'm strickly talking American made shotguns here.

David,

Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately Roger is right, you just don't know me very well, I'm horrible.

All,

I've read all the American sporting writers for the most part, and I at least "like" most of their work. Sheldon is a big favorite, right along with Ruark, and one that nobody has mentioned but is very high on my list MacQuarrie. Buckingham's work is about 50% upland stuff but most folks tend to forget that for some reason. And Sheldon wrote what is probably my favorite waterfowling story really, though he's more considered an upland writer. Different strokes for different folks, for me it's the cold wind of winter and the call of the geese. for others the falling leaves of autumn and the shock of the flush.

I wonder if we'll see this gun laying alongside BoWhoop #2 at the DU Headquarters in Memphis one day soon.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #32
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Osthaus in the trash? I think I'm going to be ill.....
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Delk For Your Post:
I would tend to agree-
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #33
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I would tend to agree-

[QUOTE=Robert Delk;15175]Osthaus in the trash? I think I'm going to be ill.....Osthaus, Tate, Rousseau and others. I bought a Osthaus print of Sports Peerless Pride from a used book dealer going out of business about 12 years ago, older gilt style frame. So many great writers and artists of a gentler time, now gone.

I once read, possibly GBE, about a wealthy bachelor sportsman who had a vast library of the classics we so eagerly seek today. Upon his passing his executors were ordered to burn them all to ashes, as he didn't want sharks and speculators hawking his former collection for a profit.

A former fly-fishing friend who passed now 10 years donated his cane rods and books (mainly Sparse G. Hackle and Ernie Schweibert) to the FFF museum in West yellowstone with the stipulation they may never be sold.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Bob: If i may ask, when the gavel went down what were the prices for the 30 & 32 inch 20 ga. Thomas L. Benson Sr.
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #35
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

I never was big on these "museum donations" really. It's essentially guys thinking that they don't want somebody having their "stuff" after they can't enjoy it anymore. Me, sell mine off and let somebody else take care of it for awhile. We never own it really.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #36
Tim Sheldon
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Destry, I have to think the "museum donations" must have another angle other than the hands off my stuff angle. Maybe people use it for estate planning in a way to TRY to avoid the tax man, or so not to pay him as much, you know after you're dead. Just thinking.

Tim
Tim Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
PH 8 Gauge
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #37
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default PH 8 Gauge

The PH 8 ga opened at $5000 and went for $12500. The 40 inch barrels were like water pipe. The barrel finish was very nice, with just enough dings and stains to be real, although the frame screws and stock showed evidence that the gun enjoyed a lot of trips to the blind.
The note on the bid log 170 4/3 indicates another bidder saved the gun from the gavel; I could see three active phone bidders at the time but the bid came either from the floor or another phone bidder in the office at the back of the gallery.

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PH 8 DSC_4631.JPG (37.4 KB, 206 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #38
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,915 Times in 4,776 Posts

Austin, when you say "water pipe", do you mean that the inside was severely pitted but the outside was somehow redone or restored? This is the second lower grade Parker eight that was sold for very serious prices recently. Can we assume that these guns are just about all locked up in collections or are some still out there. I need more big guns. Mine are wearing out from excess use.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
PH 8
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #39
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default PH 8

Bill; The barrel was thick like water pipe; 3/32 or 1/8 inch at the muzzle. It was one of the nicest looking PT barrels I have seen.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #40
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry: If you really think that the restock of BW was "ugly" I suggest a trip to your opthomologist.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lander For Your Post: