Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

D3 Question
Unread 10-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
Charles Palmer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default D3 Question

Picked up a 1891, D3 H O C 12 28... But the barrels are 16GA 26" Titanic Steel made by Parker and same serial number as the receiver. How did this happen?

Was this gun sent back to Parker for a barrel change? and do they stamp the serial number to barrels the same as the receiver?

Thanks
Charles Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Changed barrels.
Unread 10-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
John Knobelsdorf II
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Changed barrels.

Charles:

The way you give us these details, tells me you find the serial number listed in the Price & Fjestad serialization book.

Considering the era and details you tell us about what you are holding, it feels unlikely the serialization book has that many typos! It’s not likely to have typos about three (3) things: the barrel steel, the gauge and the barrel length!

So, apparently somebody hand fit new barrels to it.

As for the numbers stamped on the barrel, well… people that have stamps are going to be stamping. Too early to say whether that person was working in the factory or a fine quality custom gunsmith.

Now, were the new barrels fit by the Parker Brothers factory? Or someone else?

I notice that the new barrels are marked as Titanic Steel. Since that is the appropriate fluid steel for a grade 3 gun, I can’t think of any place it would be easy to get, unless somebody were working in the factory. Not impossible for the after factory gunsmith to get, but that calls for a little more patience, cost and attention to detail than the average gunsmith has (or maybe they just got lucky).

If this were mine, I’d post pictures of the relevant areas of the water table, barrel markings and barrel flats. Then ask the good folks that visit here to opine about whether it looks like factory work or not. I feel fairly confident that the consensus response will be a solid answer to the question. Not definitive, but solid and reliable.

I’d also submit a research letter request. Considering you find the number in the serialization book then it feels highly likely you’ll be able to get a research letter. Until that letter is done, it’s too early to know whether or not an order book will be available to give the definitive answer about a barrel refit at the factory on this gun. You’ll only know when you ask.

One more thing I would do is post in the lost and found portion of this board seeking the Damascus barrel version for this particular serial number.

Meghan Superczynski, for Boss Shotshells, Bridgman, Michigan
John Knobelsdorf II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Knobelsdorf II For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,916 Times in 2,383 Posts

That is certainly possible. We need to see a bunch of good pictures to really offer an opinion.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2022, 12:11 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,489 Times in 12,442 Posts

The gun was most likely sent back to Parker Bros. for a set of replacement barrels (for whatever reason) of the appropriate grade/barrel steel. There were several options available in various steels, of which Titanic Steel, being the standard for Grade 3 fluid steel barrels, was the most expensive option. Most folks back then chose the less expensive but just as serviceable lower grade steels. A research letter may or may not address the situation. Pictures would certainly narrow down opinions on who the change was done by. The fit of the doll's head into the recess in the frame will be most telling. If it was factory work the fit would be precise.

.This is a factory fit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.JPG (363.8 KB, 9 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,918 Times in 3,164 Posts

There are errors in the book, and that has been discussed on this site before. For example, I have a 1901 DH that the book says was a 36" gun, but the research letter (thanks Mr. Research Director!) clearly states it is in its original configuration with 28" barrels.

Let the folks here get a good look at your gun and then let's see...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: