Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Anyone know more about this first hammerless Parker
Unread 08-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Default Anyone know more about this first hammerless Parker

I saw this ad today and searched around for some kind of news article about these shoots, especially the one in Decatur, to see if I could learn more about this "first hammerless" Parker. Maybe someone more in tune on where to search for the news article may know how to find more information. It would be nice to read what was said about the use of this "first hammerless" parker on the day it was used.

Anyway, here is what started me searching....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (74.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (96.8 KB, 8 views)
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,298 Times in 1,235 Posts

Here is a report of the match:

December 13, 1888, The Decatur Weekly Republican, Decatur, Illinois, “Nearly 300 local sportsmen and visitors assembled at the base ball park yesterday afternoon to witness the championship shooting contest between two noted amateur experts with the shotgun - L. S. Carter, of Hammond, Ill., and James R. Stice, the all-round shot of Jacksonville, Ill. At the Cincinnati tournament last September Mr. Carter against 27 competitors won the American Field Wing cup, valued at $350, the winner to hold it until lost in a contest. Mr. Stice challenged Carter for a contest and $50 a side. It was accepted and yesterday the battle, which was sufficiently sharp to be quite exciting, came off at the park. Dr. Henry, of Jacksonville, was the scorer, William Limberge, of the Cincinnati Commercial-Gazette, marked the flight of the birds from the traps, and W. A. Heninger, of Chicago, served as referee. The five ground traps were set at a distance of 30 yards, or 90 feet, from the shooter, and in the traps were placed live pigeons by small boys engaged for that purpose. The traps were thrown open at the word ‘pull,’ by means of ropes the ends of which were pulled by the contestant not shooting, one trap being opened at a time. When the pigeon rose from the trap to fly away it was the business of the shooter with leveled gun in hand to kill it before it flew over the fence, each man to have two shots at each bird and no more. If the bird fell inside the fence, 80 yards away, then the referee called it a ‘dead bird’ for the shooter. If it got away it was called a ‘no bird’ and it was a point against the shooter. Each man had a chance to kill fifty birds, the score being 43 to 42 in favor of Stice, whose victory was the occasion of much jollifying on the part of his Jacksonville and Decatur friends. THE SCORE. Stice - 10111111111111110111111111111011101100011111111111 - 43; Carter - 01110111111011111111111110110111111101111110111011 - 42. It was the judgment of competent parties that Mr. Carter fired too quick. In nearly every instance he banged away at the first upward movement of the bird, and fired the second load after it was plain that the bird was winged. He killed nearly every bird. Mr. Stice was more deliberate and saved his ammunition when he saw that his bird would be sure to drop. He missed three birds in succession, mainly because each was a dark bird. He did it when he was one point ahead, two misses giving Carter the lead by one point. Stice used a Parker hammerless gun, weight 7 pounds 14 ounces. Carter shot with a Smith gun, weight 7 pounds 8 ounces. The prize cup is a silver beauty. It is in a satin-lined case, and is appropriately engraved with figures of marksmen at the base. It is to be a bone of contention among all amateur sportsmen, any one of whom in any part of the country can challenge the winner. Charles Budd, of Des Moines, Iowa, has already challenged Mr. Stice to shoot for the cup, the contest to come off in February. Mr. Stice has taken part in the four Chamberlain tournaments at Cleveland, Ohio, winning first money twice, second money once, and dividing first money at the meeting last summer. He is an expert at double and single birds, ground and plunge traps, all distances, live or inanimate birds, and is noted as an all-round shot, honest and upright in all contests, no matter how much is at stake. In 1886 he won the American champion cup at Chicago, against a big field, but subsequently he lost the cup to Charles Budd, who is now after the American Field cup.”

The question is, was Stice really shooting the first Parker hammerless gun?

April 23, 1887, American Field, “TRAP AT MERIDEN. April 8 being Fast Day, the Parker Gun Club of this city opened the season by giving a largely attended shoot on its Crown Street club grounds.......The shoot was a success every way......All makes of guns were used - the new Parker hammerless, the new Winchester repeater, the Spencer repeater, Colt hammerless and several others.....I noticed also that Lieut. Geo. E. Albee of the U.S.A., also Messrs. Waite and Potter used the new Winchester repeating shotgun, which will be put on the market next month.....”
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

A member of the press officiating a pigeon shoot. My, how things have changed!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Kurt Sauers
Forum Associate

Member Info

If a member of the press officiated any thing today , the ____________ would win. Fill in the blank
Kurt Sauers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

A member of the press did a book review in The Washington Post, Thursday, August 20, 1981, of Michael McIntosh's The Best Shotguns Ever Made in America. My Wife got me the book, I contacted McIntosh, he hooked me up with Bill Headrick the elder and the younger and my life has been warped ever since!!
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,853 Times in 4,747 Posts

Kurt, I'll play your game and I bet that I win. Fill in the blank with "Ex-President". How about, in the interest of pure research as claimed in the PGCA gospel, we post the order book information on the first hammerless gun? Not much chance of that. Please send in your forty dollars if you want information on this gun. I am so disappointed in our failed attempt to share information from our files with the membership. I have shared all the information at my disposal for decades, and never sent anyone a bill. What would it cost the PGCA to post an order book copy of the "First Hammerless Parker"? Where is this "sharing information" business?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I pulled my copy of the serialization book off the shelf and attempted to find the first hammerless entry. I think I found it as ser#55296; a DH 30 inch Damascus 12g. But, I know that book isn't always correct?

Also, looks like it lists 24822 as the first top lever; a grade 2 10 ga with 28 inch .

I'm on a roll, it lists the first gun in the book, ser# 1444 as a 16 gauge, but I find that hard to believe; it lists a grade 3 with laminated 28 inch barrels ser# 12990 as the next 16ga. But, the Parker Story has a table that lists an underlever B grade, ser# 15566 as the first 16ga. A mystery here....

The first 20 ga I could find was an underlifter, ser# 4634 in undetermined grade but with Damascus barrels.

The first 10ga listed is an underlever ser# 2088; a low grade with decarbonized steel barrels.

Of course, I did this with my old eyes, so don't take any of this to the bank. I found it to be an interesting exercise.

I wonder if Chuck can shed more light on Parker firsts...... preferably as a Parker Pages article. Chuck?
Unread 08-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

The first hammerless is 55295 a g grade gun. 55296 is a d grade and it's in California
Unread 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
The first hammerless is 55295 a g grade gun. 55296 is a d grade and it's in California
Dave, 55295 isn't in "the book", where did you find this information?
Unread 08-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Robin, please search the grade section in TPS