Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

There must be some reason I can't think of to not be allowed to use tubes for sub gauge events. The NSCA and NSSA both allow it. Maybe it is so only people with deep pockets can enter, because everyone knows the price of sub gauge guns goes way up.
Unread 08-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Paul
To the best of my knowledge, there are not any subgage events limited to Parkers. Yes, sub gage Parkers are expensive but if you wish to shoot in the subgage arena purchase something else. I have a fantastic AYA 28ga that I just love, not as much as my Parker 28ga's ,but also not anywhere near the costs.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

There seems to be a lot of confusion concerning this thread.
The original poster asked if reproductions could be used for the new event at the Southern. Knowing Mr Garret and the way he asked the question I assumed he meant the 16 and 20 Parker Challenge events that I sponsor at the spring southern.

Please understand my response is intended only for the 16 and 20 gauge Parker vs Smith challenge events at the spring southern.
My response is NOT FOR ANYOTHER EVENTS AT THE SPRING SOUTHERN OR ANY OTHER SOUTHERN OR OTHER SIDE BY SIDE EVENT.

Yes reproduction guns are allowed. There is NO mixing of gauges. You must shoot a Parker or LC Smith. You must shoot the 20 ga event with a 20 ga (no 28 or 410 or other) and you must shoot the 16 ga event with a 16 (no 20, no 28, 410 or other).
Guns that have been altered, sleeved, had permanent tube sets put in them are perfectly legit. The guns do not have to be "original" or in original configuration.

To Mr Harms question, he brings up a valid point. It is not my intention to exclude anyone that is willing to and wants to participate. I need sometime to think about the removable tube set issue. I will get back with a decision on this at a later date. I would rather folks participate than not. It is a hot topic (on both sides of the fence) (if you don't believe me please search the 15 page thread back in 2013 where I got the crap beat out of me and slandered on this site for asking if tube sets were ok / considered ok/ legit for side by side events like the southern).

Again my response is only for the 16 and 20 ga challenge events that I sponsor on Thursday at the spring southern.

Thanks,
John
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 08-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

John, sorry you got trashed. I can see the thought on shooting the correct gauge gun for the event, but at the same time there is no advantage shooting a 12ga with gauge reducers. You're still shooting the proper gauge shells whether it's a temporary fix [ tubes, Gaugemates ] or a permanent fix. Guess I don't understand the difference between a temp fix or permanent fix. But then it's not my call. As my friend says " do what you want, you're gonna anyways". Thanks for your reply.
20 gauge tubes
Unread 08-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
jim garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 20 gauge tubes

John, I have a Purdey hammergun in which I had to install Briley 20 gauge tubes. It is shootable in the 20 gauge events at the Southern since it is a drop of only 1 gauge. Yes, I know that the 16 gauge is the next gauge down but no one makes 16 gauge tubes therefore 20 gauge is the next size down.It is a very enjoyable gun to shoot so don't be afraid to try 20 gauge tubes in it.The Purdey was made in 1855 so it is always the oldest gun at any shoot. Jim Garrett
jim garrett is offline   Reply With Quote