Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 06-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #21
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would love the Feds to legalize the old 8 gauges; but we know what will happen: The firearm manufacturers would immediately petition to legalize "modern" 8 gauges shooting 5" shells with 3 ounces of lead for turkeys.
The "Super Nasty Black Eagle" would be born.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #22
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

My friend "The Captain" killed a pair of greylag with AAA that were so high it was hard to believe. Probably the 2nd highest geese I've ever seen shot.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

what was the highest shot you have seen shot on geese destry..and how high do you think this 2nd highest was and what guns and gauges were used...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've seen a guide in Scotland kill geese with a 12 gauge Browning Autoloader using Winchester XX #4 in 3 inch so high you couldn't really believe it. I'd say pushing over 90 yards. And it wasn't an accident, he could do it every time.

Barry killed a right and left on Greylag geese with a Tolley hammer 8 gauge using AAA shot that was 85 yards if it was a foot.

I killed a mallard drake with a Holland and Holland hammer 4 bore using BB shot that was 87 big steps to where it fell straight down.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #25
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

thanks destry that is truly some fine shots..would have loved to have seen you shooting that 4 bore....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #26
Robert Geddes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry, I think you'd enjoy the Cape Barren Geese on Flinders Island; I pulled down a looong shot with a single 8 in January...
Robert Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #27
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's actually a trip I've considered making. But the flight is just soooooo long.....

Did you get to shoot peacock too?

Destry
Unread 06-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #28
Robert Geddes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Apparently it's not the best time of year, but a couple of us did put in some effort, and we did get a peacock; one of the nicest birds I've ever eaten, and a wealth of fly tying and arrow fletching material. Also put up a massive white boar, but didn't get him, and we didn't chase the turkeys, either.
I'll probably get a group going again for January 2019. Ducks are on the rice crops in the Riverina at that time of year, too... Plenty of time to save up, and plenty of stuff to have a shot at, if you do decide to make the trip. Could probably find a bed for you here too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Geddes For Your Post:
Unread 06-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #29
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I get your seasons confused. Isn't January in the middle of your summertime? What's the weather like? Is it a guided trip? Non toxic shot?

DLH
Unread 06-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #30
Robert Geddes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, January is summer here, but Flinders is far enough south and surrounded by enough ocean to be pretty mild.
It's guided, and he knows exactly how and where to place the guns and push the birds to get some great shooting. He supplies 1 1/4 lead #2 or BB - unless you take something weird to shoot, like I do, and take my own 10ga or 8ga cartridges.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Geddes For Your Post: