Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

congrats to Destry
Unread 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Default congrats to Destry

for those that don't read it

our very own self confessed "old school" hunter now has a regular column in "Take 'Em" magazine

hunting with Parkers, wooden blocks and canvas coats

Destry - where do you find the galvanized rubber waders to go with that
Unread 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

I just noticed this post, thanks for the kind words.

That's the one thing I can't get in my bag of tricks anymore, a pair of decent old school waders.

These guys are still making waders here in the USA and aren't afraid to do a custom pair for a big man:

https://usia.com/2014/03/waders-ad/

As soon as I get my pennies saved up, I'm going to order a pair in straight olive drab. That's about the closest I'm going to get to the good old stuff anymore.

The actual boots are made overseas, because there's no source for rubber boots in the US anymore. Lacrosse made the last ones, and they stopped at least five years ago.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

As far as the column goes, I'm proud to have been asked. Now I've just got to come up with enough stuff to write about!

I just hammered out a column and a feature for the next issue earlier in the week.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
That's the one thing I can't get in my bag of tricks anymore, a pair of decent old school waders.

i have to admit - i only shoot doubles -and i like cork blocks - but i do like the new breathable waders

my last set of the old school waders went out the door one year when my then young daughter was watching me get my gear ready for the season opener. she sat there quietly watching me go over the old waders and finally spoke up "Dad, do you know you just put a small patch on a big patch"
Unread 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Back in the day when I did hunt ducks and fished stream trout I bought a pair of the new high tech neoprene waders. I looked like Gumbe. The first time out a hidden snag ripped a hole in them, it was a cold day on the marsh.

With having a place in the upper peninsula I keep telling myself I'll get back into trout fishing and buy a quality set of waders but I keep shooting sporting clays instead and buying quality shotguns. Oh well I guess it could be worse.
Unread 02-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The early neoprene waders were terrible, they'd rip if you just looked at them. They've actually got them pretty well figured out now. My impetus for buying these USA made ones is that my current pair has finally started to leak after 6 seasons.
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Destry there was an outdoor store up here who had a load of the Lacrosse hip length rubber boots there were selling them off for 70 bucks a pair (bought a set ) if you like I could check for your size if they still have them
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

If they're USA made ones I'm certainly interested.

I'd take insulated or non-insulated in a 12 or 13.

Thanks!
Unread 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Ill check it out next time i'm in town
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote