Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

PGCA really can't get involved in telling members what wall thickness of composite barrel is safe to shoot with what load. I recommend, have recommended, that we measure wall thicknesses of original Parkers with composite barrels so that our members may compare guns they are interested in buying with known original guns. Members would have to own or borrow their own bore micrometers and wall thickness gauges to make such comparisons. Let's face it, most gunsmiths don't own bore micrometers or wall thickness gauges. Most gunsmiths are not really gunsmiths. Most gunsmiths don't own guns worth more than $400. It is our job to own the measuring tools needed to keep us from making purchasing errors or damaging our guns. If we are buying guns worth thousands of dollars, we should not rely on a gunsmith who doesn't know what he is looking at.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Bill, I concure with your position. Wall thickness guages only work with extensive modification and fixturing. Most people do not understand the variables involved. As for composite barrels, it is my belief that hammer forging increases the strenght of the steel. I.E. hammer forged tool steel. Over the years I have witnessed thousands of barrel failures. The bottom line is that fluid steel, or Damascus, failures occur only in obstructed bores. I have no problem with reloading, however I can trace most barrel failures to a cocked wad, no or insuffecient powder, or other obstruction. Almost never the thickness of the steel. I believe in over kill with a controlled explosion that close to your body. Most composite barrels exhibit wall thickness far greater than their fluid steel counterparts. I believe that Sherman Bell proved that misnomer. The only loss of flesh or digits that I have witnessed is with fluid steel, due to stupid loading problems. I have testified in many cases surrounding breach and barrel failures, it is allways the ammo. Logic would dictate that pressure will escape to the point of least resistance, so a clear bore will allow the charge to escape. Buldges and gooseeggs are due to minor obstructions that cleared. I believe that any bore of an antique shotgun should be inspected prior to use, fluid or composite. Rely on the opinion of someone that is specifically trained in the field. In closing, I would agree that ther are many barrels out there that are unsafe to fire, but don't pre judge the Damascus tubes, they are some of the finest ever built. In guns with Damascus barrels, the barrels were the single most expensive component in
the total gun.

Just my opinion,

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Well said Brad.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Actually Ray, the sixth FAQ from the top addresses barrel wall thickness and to the best of my knowledge such recommendations as stated in that FAQ apply to both fluid steel as well as composite steel barrels in 12 gauge guns.

Both Bill and Brad give good advice on the subject and I would urge anyone with an interest of the safety of Damascus barreled guns to read each installment of Sherman Bell's "Finding Out For Myself" series in the Double Gun and Single Shot Journal. No, it is not an experiment endorsed by the scientific community and is not as 'controlled' as laboratory procedures would dictate.... but it's good enough for me!

I shoot Damascus barreled guns (after I have thoroughly inspected and measured them) with every confidence.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, I understand why PGCA should avoid giving advice but I wonder if it could compile info from known reliable sources. The check list I suggest would sure help a person like me who is learning what many of you have known for years and might take for granted others might also know the same thing. I agree about gunsmiths. I heard the local gun shop hired a new gunsmith so I stopped by to meet him. He was 21 yrs old and stuggling to install a rifle scope. After giving him some tips, I left shaking my head. I sure he had never seen a damascus barrel. I have taken one set of barrels to three local gunsmiths to measure the bores. Each has given me significantly different measurements. I don't have the tools or anyone to show me how to use them. What's a fella to do!?!

Dean, I saw that FAQ but thought it was for fluid steel barrels. Not sure why I thought that since it doesn't say it's limited to them. I guess I assumed, incorrectly apparently, the specs for composite barrels were different.

So does the a fella like me do to figure this all out? There must be some authority to go to for a step by step process in figuring it out? I could use the pray and shoot method but that doesn't insure it won't fail the next time. I don't know a gunsmith anywhere who will actually certify the soundness of a composite barrel (and I have asked some well known gunsmiths to do so but they won't).

Another observation about The Open Range. For 50 years (maybe longer) we have read ammo boxes that say not to use in composite barrels. The misunderstanding is that it is the ammo that is the problem not the barrels. It is amazing how many experience shooters don't undersatnd this. They all say such barrels are unsafe. I tell them, if that were the case, every one who fired a Parker 100 years ago would have killed themselves. Most experienced shooters don't really even know the differnece between damascus and twist. Everything is "damascus" to them.

On the pretty cool page, met a fella at the range this weekend who was standing around showing folks a GH 16 ga with damascus barrels. He was in his 70's I'm guessing. Said it was his Grand-dad's. Doesn't ever remember his grand-dad using it when he hunted with him as a boy. Probably not shot in 75 yrs! Based on serial number I'm guessing it was built about 1900. Was in good shape. Nice to know they're are some untouched originals out there.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

I forgot to ask. Is there any gunsmith you can send your barrels to who will certify them safe to shoot?
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I don't think you'll find anyone who is willing to "certify" composite barrels being safe to shoot but I'm sure there are experienced people who will examine and measure and completely inspect your barrels and render an opinion of their safety within specific pressure loadings.
Barrels
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Barrels

When someone prepares an article on Parker barrel testing, Parker Pages will certainly carry it. There is an informal report on metallurgical analysis of some barrals but it hasn't really been submitted for publication.
Two accomplished tool designers, Larry Frey and Dave Suponski are currently working with some twist and damascus barrel segments, trying to learn the cutting methods used to shape these barrels. This is an important first step in designing a non destructive test method as well as learning how early Parker barrels were made and finished.
Would you send a set of Dam 6 barrels for proof? Probabably not. There are two non destructive tests that need to be established; first a test that will determine if thin spots or seams less than 1/8 inch in diameter or width are present; second a test for ductility that will determine if the barrel metal has been embrittled by age, corrosion or heat cycling.
The first could probably be achieved by an industrial X ray, using similar techniques to testing steam pipe welds. The second might be done by measuring stretching and return to original dimensions as is done on gas cylinders. The question here is one of sufficient tests purchased to off set the original development costs.
Assuming these tests were designed; would you send a collector gun for analysis if you knew that some apparently high condition guns were found to be thin or brittle?

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Ray,

You could send your gun to England to have it proofed to a cetain pressure. I have a 10 ga Damascus Parker proofed at 3.5 tons or about 7800 PSI. I bought it already proofed for that is nothing I would pay for. I also have and shoot 4 LC Smiths, 3 other Parkers, 1 LeFever, and a Baker with un-proofed Damascus or twist barrels. My reloads are limited to 6000 PSI and other than checking to see daylight through the barrels before each shot I never worry about a problem with pressure. I also check for daylight in my modern doubles.

My advice to you is that one must read the information available on shooting Damascus and twist barrels and determine for themself if they will feel safe shooting them. Then, one needs to have the knowledge to inspect their barrels. That knowledge is gained not overnight or by reading a list of factors. The PGCA cannot post an unquestionable list from which one can self inspect their barrels. What if a reader followed the list and afterward blew their barrels? Would that person want to sue the PGCA? Chances are some scammer would intentionally due just that!

If you do not feel comfortable inspecting your barrels send them to a reputable gunsmith who will inspect but NOT guarentee them against factors that they cannot control. Did you read Brad Bachelder's post? As he stated he is both a gunsmith and an expert firearms witness. He also stated that barrels normally blow from obstructions.

Barrels will also blow if one makes a mistake reloading. Load 70 grains of smokeless instead of the called for blackpowder and the barrels will blow. A friend did this but the barrels did not blow on the first shot. They blew on the second or third shot. The pressure was estimated at 25000 psi (if I recall correctly). That was pretty good for a Damascus barrel. There is a photo of his blown barrel in Murdelak's SHOOTING FLYING. Oh, that good friend shot two Damascus guns with me this past Sunday.

Another no no is to shoot modern ammo in Damascus barrels. Why? Modern 12 gauge ammo is optimized to cycle autoloaders. The pressure needed to cycle a dirty autoloader is close to the SAMMI max pressure of 12,500 PSI. If one shoots modern 12,000+ PSI (12 gauge) ammo in Damascus or twist barrels those barrels will probably be okay unless they have some hidden flaw. What is very safe at 6,000 to 8,000 PSI might not hold the pressure of 12,000 PSI. That is why most careful shooters of Damascus barrels keep their loads under 8,000 PSI. My loads are with 7/8 oz of shot at 6,000 PSI with which if I do my part they will break any target on a Sporting Clays or Skeet course. If I shot Trap for money I'd use a modern gun and AA Super Sports! Another consideration is that after a few hundred magnum loads (I include AA Super Sports and the like as magnums for this analogy - The original Win Super X 3" Magnum had but 1 & 3/8 oz of shot!) the action will probably loosen. Those actions and their steel were not designed for as much pressure (over the long term) as were the Damascus barrels!

So if you want to shoot a set of Damascus barrels send them for an inspection. After a reputable smith pronounces them to be in good condition it is your decision if to proceed. If not having a guarentee against your responsibility for checking the barrels each and every shot, and for not making a mistake in reloading, please do not shoot Damascus.

I do hope this helps.
Mark

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 07-28-2010 at 07:58 AM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin W Hogan View Post
Assuming these tests were designed; would you send a collector gun for analysis if you knew that some apparently high condition guns were found to be thin or brittle? Best, Austin
Ans: No I wouldn't.

Austin, do we know of any barrels, Damascus or otherwise, that have been proven to have failed due to the metal having become "brittle"?

Do we know that this becoming "brittle" is a normal condition of aged gunbarrel metal?