Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 10-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Father was also an excellent fisherman. Photo is also over 70 years old. i am the the boy on the right. fish were caught on Bear Lake here in Idaho.

David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to David Lien For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #12
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

This photo was about 50 years ago. I would put a couple of deer in the garage and before Miss Mary and I could get them aged, cut up and in the freezer the neighbors and friends would have them eaten.

David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Lien For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

We didn't have a meat saw when I was young - we would cut them down the spine like that with an old cross-cut saw. Your arm knew you had done some work when the deer was finally split in two.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 02:41 AM   #14
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

I would love to have an area for the members to post vintage photos, for the sake of history. Too many of the old pictures meant a lot to the people involved and are now stored away rarely to be viewed and enjoyed.
I for one enjoy these photos. They are a moment captured in history that can never be quit repeated. They are in a way a record of some of the hunts we now wish we knew more about when we acquire a vintage gun.
History of the family, friends, guns, dogs and memories that the good lord blessed our lives with and should be shared.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Phil and the rest ,this is fantastic ! I'll have to see what pics I can find ....though my beginning years were in the early 80's we were behind you guys in most every way ,field and stream was about the only magazine that you could get that was hunting related and my brother had a subscription to that , a big deal in itself ....friends would come over just to see those .

we went to the local corner store with a gun draped over my shoulder many times after school,to pick up a little lunch ,we basically hunted out the back door ,I shot grouse and had snares where my house stands today...my first introduction to stockwork was an article in an old f&s, I was instantly enthralled and been trying to learn it ever since .

All the kids I grew up with hunted and fished ,to be honest I think its just me left ,there's guys that will go if I call them but it will be the only time they'll go all season ...I don't understand ,the Newfoundland outdoors can be disheartening at times (just ask Brian Hornacek ) but I've never lost the interest or passion, these day's I could care less about killing something ,though I do get pissed about letting the dogs down when I got shit in my eyes ! to me it's just to get out and walk breath in the cool air ,I shoot big Moose not for the horns but fore the amount of meat ,the two go hand in hand ...And Dean if you think and sawing a deer down the spine is tough try a moose ,we still do it that way ....damned if I know why

It seems I could wax poetic about this forever ,but I'll leave it at this
Great thread guy's keep it coming !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #16
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,436 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
Dean thanks for your posting. I love vintage hunting photographs. I hope others will post some pictures, of their early hunts. When I found this picture last night it brought back lots of memories of my hunts together with my brother.
Many nights we layed in our room and talked for hours about hunting and such. Reading through the Herters catalogue, Fur/Fish/Game, Outdoor Life and others. Sharing what we learned and dreams. Great Memories.
Hunting has been the common bond since we were kids that still assures we get together 5 or 6 times each year.

Charlie yep it's a single 20 gauge made by Sears, if I recall it had a big hammer and a round push button on the side to open. Looking at the boots we were wearing reminds me how good I have it today with my KENETREX. back then I could wear anytime from a size 6 to a 16 . Just put on two pairs socks and another one roll up in the toe. LOL.
Dean, He called you 'VINTAGE"
Unread 10-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kittredge View Post
Dean, He called you 'VINTAGE"

I was just laughing with Kathy about that a few minutes ago..... I guess if the name fits...... we should wear it proudly

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

"Vintage" is a good one for Dean. I have a few others also...... This is an awesome thread! Thanks guys....

'
Unread 10-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Best way to split a moose is with a chainsaw. I've heard some folks say they replace the bar oil with Wesson oil but I think that's just a story. You just drain or leave the bar oil in and you can't even tell because it all happens so fast. Nowadays we all carry Dewalt cordless Sawzall's and a spare battery or two in our moose/caribou/deer hunting kits. They save you a lot of labor I can tell you.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,997 Times in 435 Posts

Newfoundland was disheartening relative to my Ptarmigan dreams but made up for it in overall experience. Its a place where you go to "hunt" not "harvest". Game is earned through your efforts not paid for to be put out in the field for you to kick up or fed out of a feeder while you sit in a blind with heaters and iphones. Newfoundland defines your passion for hunting, if you don't have it don't hunt there, if you are like Chris Dawe and myself its beauty and ruggedness welcomes you!

Today's pictures will one day be a memory of the past. Yes that is a Parker 16 gauge leaning on the tree my friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
Phil and the rest ,this is fantastic ! I'll have to see what pics I can find ....though my beginning years were in the early 80's we were behind you guys in most every way ,field and stream was about the only magazine that you could get that was hunting related and my brother had a subscription to that , a big deal in itself ....friends would come over just to see those .

we went to the local corner store with a gun draped over my shoulder many times after school,to pick up a little lunch ,we basically hunted out the back door ,I shot grouse and had snares where my house stands today...my first introduction to stockwork was an article in an old f&s, I was instantly enthralled and been trying to learn it ever since .

All the kids I grew up with hunted and fished ,to be honest I think its just me left ,there's guys that will go if I call them but it will be the only time they'll go all season ...I don't understand ,the Newfoundland outdoors can be disheartening at times (just ask Brian Hornacek ) but I've never lost the interest or passion, these day's I could care less about killing something ,though I do get pissed about letting the dogs down when I got shit in my eyes ! to me it's just to get out and walk breath in the cool air ,I shoot big Moose not for the horns but fore the amount of meat ,the two go hand in hand ...And Dean if you think and sawing a deer down the spine is tough try a moose ,we still do it that way ....damned if I know why

It seems I could wax poetic about this forever ,but I'll leave it at this
Great thread guy's keep it coming !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dawe.jpg (577.1 KB, 7 views)
Brian Hornacek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post: