Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

The rods pictured above are handed down from my friend's grandfather so they are even more special. My father gave me a cane rod he bought in as a boy in 1944, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

Here's a vintage Heddon #14 9' 6/7wt with a newer reel, circa maybe 1940. Like to find a Heddon Imperial to match the rod. My grandfather fished for steelhead in upper Michigan with it. This rod is original finish but two of the wraps have been rewound with original color thread and the cork handle cleaned. I have the original Heddon Automatic reel that he used with it but they are so heavy and a person really can't fight off the reel, so I believe they are out of favor. I did notice that you displayed several automatic reels with the Leonards and assume they are Leonard branded reels. Those Leonards are outstanding and I would love to see them in person.

I have a new, non vintage Jenkins 7'9" 4/5wt, 2/2 that I use with a trout reel made in New Hampshire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0639.jpg (82.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Bruce Day; 01-07-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Heddon Reel "Fo De Colonel, Suh"--
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Heddon Reel "Fo De Colonel, Suh"--

[QUOTE=Bruce Day;10801]Here's a vintage Heddon #14 with a newer reel, circa maybe 1940. Like to find a Heddon Imperial to match the rod. My grandfather fished for steelhead in upper Michigan with it.

I have a new, non vintage Jenkins 7'9" 4/5wt, 2/2. I'm guessing that Heddon is either a 8 & 1/2 foot 3/2 or possibly a 9 foot 3/2- 6/7 wt- back then they used the three Alpha Code for the line wts. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that reel, but I am no longer fly fishing or a "player" in the vintage tackle game-but I still "get around" a bit- on the reel, you might try Bob Corsetti- up in Stan Bogdan's "digs" of Nashua, NH- besides the fine Peerless (Vom Hofe) pattern reels, he also buys, sells and trades tackle and fly reels- Also Carmine Lisella and Hoagy Bix Carmichael in Upstate New York areas and even Michigan rod maker Bob Sommers gets a few reels.

I had one Heddon in my career- a 8 & 1/2 ft. 3/2 No. 35 in 6 wt. Mint with original bag with label and tube. Is your fine Heddon wearing its "first suit of clothes"? or has it been refinished-

Those are fine pre-fire Leonards. Interesting is the automatic reels displayed, along with the older Leonard raised pillar reel. I bought a Walker trout reel many years ago at a yard sale- RH wind, no drag adjustment, but a Classic from the late Archie Walker and Sons in Long island- back 'in the era' when they sold for $65.00 retail and a Pflueger Medalist for $5.50--

Nice older reel, but it had the older silk line and was loaded with floatant, which had 'welded' the line to the arbor- had to soak it (the arbor- after I dis-assembled the reel that is) to free it up--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Rod Rack
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Rod Rack

The rack shown was in Harvey Donaldson's sporting goods store in Little Falls, NY from the end of WW I to the beginning of WWII. The vertical rack is on the reverse side. It has been the barrel rack on my cleaning bench for the last 15 years. I think Harvey made the rack.
The streamer is self explanatory

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HAD ROD RACK DSC_4405web.jpg (28.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg VI 53 LEW O 2web.jpg (9.4 KB, 266 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Jungle Cock? beautiful fly indeed-
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Jungle Cock? beautiful fly indeed-

[QUOTE=Austin W Hogan;10818]The rack shown was in Harvey Donaldson's sporting goods store in Little Falls, NY from the end of WW I to the beginning of WWII. The vertical rack is on the reverse side. It has been the barrel rack on my cleaning bench for the last 15 years. I think Harvey made the rack.
The streamer is self explanatory

Best, Austin[- Austin- I couldn't quite make out the signature etc- I have two matukas in shadow boxes in my den- one tied by old friend Bill Hunter- and the other by Paol Jorgensen- I also have some Skykomish Sunrise patterns possibly tied by writer/artist Russell Chatham- a fly fisherman's fisherman in deed, like the late Lee Wulff- The Royal Wulff was always one of my favroite patterns as well-

Like the cleaning bench- Maxwell House and Hoppe's No. 9- like Parkers and Leonards- things that made us great- well at least we can still get Maxwell House and Hoppe's--
Silver Darter
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Silver Darter

The streamer is a silver darter streamer imitation of the minnow of the same name, tied by Lew Oatman. The letter tells of Lew's experience fishing it deep then raising it to the surface, taking trout that would not take a dry or a nymph.

The gun is a Triplett and Scot certified genuine by the crack in the wrist.

Best, Austin
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,195 Times in 12,369 Posts

Poul Jorgensen passed in 2004. I had attended a couple of his seminars. A very talented and innovative fly-tyer and a rather independent cuss who was often late for his own seminars... if he showed at all.
Is Bill Hunter still with us? - last I saw him he was rather 'long of the tooth'. I shopped his fly shop in New Boston, NH several times . . . nothing had a price tag on it
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

...a couple of flyrods...the 1st is a pre-fire Leonard "Fairy Catskill" 7'6", 3/2 for a 3 wt. line. The 2nd is a Kusse "Baby Catskill" 6'0", 2/2 for a one-weight line and the 3rd and 4th pics are of a display case for a few of the cane rods in my collection. This display case, originally a gun cabinet, came out of a camp in northern Wisconsin formally owned by the chairman of the board of U.S. Gypsum in Chicago.

Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Gibbs
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Gibbs

Those two reels bring back fond memories. Here are some flies by Harold Gibbs; despite my obvious bias, I consider Gibbs the best of the twentieth century.

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIBBS 2 EE SALMON FLIES BY GIBBS.jpg (334.4 KB, 37 views)
A "Kosmic" with Edward Payne's influence??
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A "Kosmic" with Edward Payne's influence??

[QUOTE=Austin W Hogan;10859]Those two reels bring back fond memories. Here are some flies by Harold Gibbs; despite my obvious bias, I consider Gibbs the best of the twentieth century.

Best, Austin[/- My first choice in fly reels was always the Hardy Perfects-ball bearing smooth, palming drag if needed, well machined and finished. Not familiar with Mr. Gibbs- but his flies are well tied and in perfect proportion to the hook size and style. Austin, I'm surprised you didn't include the Darbee-Dette Catskill tiers- another great tier was the late Harold Steele Gillum of Ridgefield CT.--I never owned a Gillum or a Garrison rod, but then, I have never owned a Boss side by or a Woodward either-