Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I just saw pics of 3 VH Parkers that are in an album here. A 20, 28 and 16 gauge. All 3 had the blue triggers that Brian is talking about. I have also just purchased a VH 28 that also appears to have Nitre blued triggers.
Reggie Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Gary Bodrato
PGCA Member

Member Info

I did in fact ask about both the trigger and barrel selector switch, I am sorry for any confusion in my wording of the original post. Brian's photo does show the blueing on the trigger behind the blade itself and a blue selector. I am not surprised about the selector being blued, but thought Allan was right on the nickel finish trigger, as I have never seen a blued blade.Having looked through hundreds of photos on the internet prior to posting, with out question most seemed of a plated or polished finish, and selector switches were about 50/50. Brian's photo is convincing and so is Edgar's statement as he owned a new in the box VH. As this is a Remington era VHE I do not know if they would have spent the time and effort to Nickel plate triggers while bluing selector switches. I believe Brian has the answer here. Allan, Edgar, Brian, and Reggie I thank you all for your knowledgeable responses.
Gary Bodrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,388 Times in 3,073 Posts

A DHE 20, and a VHE 20. There is no evidence, that I am able to see, of nitre blueing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.JPG (82.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (73.1 KB, 1 views)
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

With no dog in the fight, I do believe it may be in The Parker Story, or maybe I read it somewhere else, that all of the lower grades did have Nitre Blued triggers (and trigger guards on all grades). The Nitre Bluing wears pretty quickly, and a single trigger would get used twice as much. Thus the raw steel trigger looks like bright steel, which does look like nickel.

I nitre blue all of my triggers on lower grade guns I rework. I will look for the information. I remember reading they would also set the triggers on a red hot file pulled out of the coals and blue them that way also. I don't think I dreamed it so I will look for the info.

Last edited by Jerry Harlow; 10-02-2017 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: added lower grade
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
Gary Bodrato
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Edgar, and Jerry, looks like maybe a wait and see is in order. I do have The Parker Story, and went to that as my first point of reference but did not find an answer. May have not looked in the right places. Help is much appreciated
Unread 10-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
A DHE 20, and a VHE 20. There is no evidence, that I am able to see, of nitre blueing.

Well, yes. D grades would be nickeled. Again... the subject gun here is a V grade.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
Jean Swanson
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 237 Posts

I have a question---who is to say that a gunsmith ,not knowing the way the trigger and selector were finished at the Parker factory, in fact niter blued both.

Just a though that could be the answer. I have handled hundreds of Parkers and honestly really never focused on the way triggers are finished, other than gold on high grade guns.
Jean Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jean Swanson For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
Gary Bodrato
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is true Allen, some 75 years after production stopped a multitude of refinished Parkers are still serviceable but incorrect in one way or another. And a point a Buddy brought up, if Remington was anything like Winchester, towards the end of a series they built what was referred to as "parts clean up guns" high serial number guns usually, that have hammers from a first run gun trigger from a second and maybe barrel from a different model altogether. The problem I have here is this trigger exhibits zero finish anyware. So I guess it could go nitre or nickel..Thanks Again for all the help