Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Ken's post strikes a familiar cord with me. I know this is "old hat," but it's still intriguing to me how the balance of a gun determines as much about its useful accuracy as does its total weight.

The Cogswell & Harrison back action hammer 16 bore I mentioned above has 30 inch barrels and is enough forward weighted that is swings well on birds in open country. The same for my under 6 lbs. Dickson round action 12 bore.

My 20 gauge DHE is 6 lbs. 10 oz., a bit on the heavier side for a 20, but it is balanced between the hands and carries and shoots lighter than its scaled weight. It fits me, as do the others I've mentioned -- hitting where I look/point.

My grouse guns would probably be considered "whippy" by some, but I don't do much gun swinging on grouse in tight cover and their light weight is a help in taking quick shots (not fast, but quick...to me there's a difference).

If the gun is balanced correctly for me--and the cover and game I'm after--a light gun is easier on my aging parts after a very long day afield.

I'm not knocking heavier guns, just describing what works for this one, aging hunter. (I've also gone to lighter weight boots, but that's another thread.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: