Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 11-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

The guy I purchased the R.S.T. shells from last fall called me and talked me through about everything I had questions for about the load size and difference between planted pheasants around here and hunting out west for wild pheasants. I need to be careful and not open a "can of worms" when asking an opinion that is so wide open for interpretation. My 2 buddies that have helped me train my brittany both had similar but slightly "different" opinions on a couple ways to train my dog. I just did what I thought would work best for myself and my situation and the time we have to work with the dog. Both of those guys know how much I appreciate all their help, the one thing they both showed my wife and I was how devoted you have to be to the dog in time, exercise, training, loving him up etc. to get a good bird dog. The people in this forum remind me a lot of my 2 new hunting buddies, the end result is everyones input is meant to help someone out which is why I really really like this forum Thanks again for all the input in here.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

The guy I purchased the R.S.T. shells from called and gave me a good talk about all the things I had questions on about shells, guns, chokes etc. and hunting planted pheasants around here versus hunting wild pheasants out west. I want to be careful about not asking questions that could have to many differing opinions like I just did in my last post. My 2 buddies that helped me so much training my dog both had similar but different ideas on how to train my dog. My wife and I listened to both of them and then used the ideas that worked best for our lifestyle, our schedules etc. Both of them showed my wife and I how much effort had to be put into our brittany. They both want what is best for our dog and us in our situation. They remind me of the input that I get in this forum, its so helpful to me after not hunting for so many years so again I thank all of you for all your help and input. I may be going out west hunting pheasants or quail some day
Unread 11-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

sorry about this, I typed the first post, then thought I deleted it, so typed another similar post, ugh, I need a full time computer trainer I tried to cancel the second one, but can't figure out how to do that.
Unread 11-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ed,

Phil, Kenny, and Garry have provided great information and tactics on hunting wild pheasants. I hunt pheasants over a Gordon setter and use a 2" 12 gauge with #6 shot in a 15/16 oz load. Later in the season I'll use a 2 1/2" gun with #6 and #5 shot in a 1 oz load. Most of the shots are under 30 yards so you don't need pocket rockets to bring the birds to the bag. However, if you taking longer shots you may need a pocket rocket.

Kenny,

I thought my Gordon was spoiled, but now I know she has more training to do on me!

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 11-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ken,
Thanks for more input, all you members have been most helpful. I keep hearing stories about how long of shots you end up taking out there. I think I read in one of the lodges out there, that they want heavy loads etc. My buddy just got back from Iowa, they limited out every day I think, and he gave me more info to dwell on. I think the best advice in all this is not to take to long of a shot and be patient for the shorter shots regardless of the gauge, load size etc. I will practice on sporting clays, clay pigeons set up for mid range shots, not like I get on grouse and woodcock to better prepare myself. I really think after my wife giving me an ok to look at more guns it just seems like just one more little old gun might be all I need (yeah right) so I saw this thread on 16 gauge guns ( I now own 2) and that got me thinking about the one more gun in case I ever get out west. I do have a couple more to look at, I will check those out, and I want to get a gun for my friend who has helped me so much and get one with a stock that is cast neutral, or get it bent for a left handed shooter, or make him get a fitting then bend the stock. The one he liked the best was a cast neutral stock on a fox 16 gauge. I think if I can find a gun like that (cast neutral) he would be thrilled. This is such a good forum for a guy like me. I learn something literally every time I come in here. Thanks again all, Ed