Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The chipping finish looks more like flaking case hardening than bluing to me. I have a 1918 GHE12 that has similar and odd flaking of the case hardening. The floorplate looks cased rather than blued and doesn't look like it's flaking. The top tang is the same but is flaking along the edges. Are we sure the frame has been blued?
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,851 Times in 4,747 Posts

Hooray to Richard Flanders. No one who has posted has any idea what the finish is on this gun. This gun is a diamond in the rough and maybe the "rough" isn't too bad. We really don't know if this gun was blued or not or with what method if blued. Don't do anything before you send it to someone who knows what finish is on the gun. It is a valuable gun and the wrong decision can reduce its value by thousands of dollars. From what I have heard, Brad B. would be a good choice to evaluate the situation. There is no way a 213,000 range gun is off face as much as the pictures show and the poster admits. Something is wrong that can be easily corrected. This is a great GHE 20 that has a few easily corrected faults and will be worth a bunch.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Bobby Hamner, jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill and Richard, with my limited web knowledge concerning the processes of bluing and case hardening, I wouldn't doubt that I was mistaken. I didn't think of the possibility of the case chipping off. If this is truly the situation, I may have that diamond in the rough you mentioned.
As for it being slightly off face. With the foregrip off, there is a bit of movement in the action. A simple notebook paper shim on the lug removes the movement. Also, without the shim, the foregrip lever will not fully depress without breaching the gun. The shim solves this issue as well.
I certainly wouldn't think of molesting this gun before it was inspected by someone very very very familiar with Parkers. Did I stress very enough? This is the exact reason I have joined the PGCA. With 100% of the members knowing more than I, and the passion for Parkers here, I knew I couldn't go wrong.
Thank you and everyone else who has posted here for your concerns for this Parker.
Bobby
Bobby Hamner, jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Hamner, jr For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

The wearplate may be a tad worn and replacing may tighten the gun right up with almost no effort. A pro (Brad) can determine that in a second. The good news is that is a relatively easy fix and also pretty inexpensive. I have a VHE that was a tad loose and replacing the wearplate made her as tight as a drum.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post: