Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #31
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,704 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
For an equivalent charge weight, there will be more #9 pellets than say #6's. Assuming those two charges are started with the same velocity, each charge group will have the same energy in total. Since there are more pellets in the #9 charge, individual pellets will carry less energy than their big brother 6's, and therefore will slow down more quickly due to wind resistance
Don't think so. The link below shows the velocity. At 57 yards, the #5 lead is 526 fps if I'm reading the chart which is now somewhat obscured a Photobucket overlay. At 71 yards the #9 TSS is 537 fps. At these respective distances, both have 1.5 inches of penetration in the gel, due to the smaller pellet entering the gel has less resistance. So the TSS in 9 more than equals to the 5s fps at the same distance. In the thread it quotes Federal where it says that TSS is 56% denser than lead. Lead is 11g/cc and TSS is 18g/cc so with a difference of 7 and 7 % 11 = .63. So lets say somewhere in the 60% denser. Now two pellets, one small and one large leave at the same velocity, but one is more dense/compact than the other. Which one slows down the fastest?

Here is another quote I wrote before: "The Tungsten 9s have the same penetration at 70 yards as lead 9s do at 15 yards" This is what the chart shows, and I am a believer. Below are two threads I previously posted so I'm not going to beat the dead horse. And I had a #9 pellet go clean through a turkey's breast, not at the top, but at the bottom where it is not too thick. But it went through it. Neither lead or Hevi-shot at that distance will do that. I know.

Lastly, I will add a target I shot a week ago with a 20 gauge A5 using only one ounce of 9s at a measured 40 yards through a .030 full choke and not a turkey choke. The distance was measured and not stepped off. I think 27 hits to the head and neck from a lowly one ounce of TSS would be more than sufficient to turn his head to nothing but broken bones.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads...sities.267784/

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23838

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...t=24219&page=2

From Federal Ammunition:

Features

• HEAVYWEIGHT® TSS payload with advanced buffering material
• As much as twice the pellet count of lead No. 5 loads of the same weight
• 22 percent denser material than standard tungsten; 56 percent denser than lead
• FLITECONTROL FLEX™ wad provides extremely tight, consistent patterns through standard and ported turkey chokes*
• Roll crimp and clear card wad keeps buffering material in place
• Full-length wads prevent direct contact of the extra-hard pellets and the bore, protecting the barrel
• 5-count pack
• 12-gauge, 20-gauge and .410 loads available
• A portion of the proceeds are donated to the National Wild Turkey Federation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200423_162703.jpg (491.4 KB, 3 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #32
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks like its about as cheap tobuy fsctory shells as too make your own loads..charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #33
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
looks like its about as cheap tobuy fsctory shells as too make your own loads..charlie
Charlie,

Yes, if you want 3 1/2" or 3" 12 gauge or 20s with 1 1/2 ounces or 1 5/8 ounces in 3" shells. The shot will cost you more than you will pay for the box of five shells for the magnum guns. But if you want to make a 2 3/4" turkey killer out of an old gun with 1 1/4 ounces in 12 or 1 ounce in 20 you have to reload them yourself. Federal is not making any 2 3/4" shells unless you custom order them and they they are terribly expensive. The only ones loading 2 3/4" shells are stuffing way too much shot for our old guns since the TSS takes up so much less space they can really pack it in. But I want to shoot 1 1/4 in 12 and 1 ounce in 20 in vintage guns.

NITRO is the only one I can find making the short shells and they put 2 ounces in 2 3/4" 12 and 1 5/8 ounces in the 2 3/4" 20s.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition.html#TSSTable

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.co...auge-1-5-8oz-9

p.s. Now if someone will figure out a TSS load that we can stuff into the 10 gauge brass that the original post showed, I will use them exclusively. That would be a good mix of old and modern.
Unread 04-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #34
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,892 Times in 4,767 Posts

The trapshooters.com chart is wrong in so many ways, I ran out of paper writing down the errors. Read it carefully.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #35
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The trapshooters.com chart is wrong in so many ways, I ran out of paper writing down the errors. Read it carefully.
OK Bill, you have convinced me we are all wrong. I'm throwing away all of my TSS and going back to pure lead, maybe some vintage shells with no plastic wad.

I'm through discussing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxyiA87IF60
Unread 04-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #36
Josey Flynn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Update:
I loaded up all 10 of my Track of the wolf shells and fired them yesterday evening. I loaded them up pretty mild using Winchester large pistol primers, 3 1/4 drams of Goex FFg and 1 1/4oz of lead shot. I used a hot glue gun to hold the overshot card in place, because I was shooting them right after and I haven't picked up any Duco yet. Everything went according to plan. I cleaned the shells by soaking in dish soap and water, which caused them to tarnish some and change color, but nothing a run through the tumbler can't fix. I slid them into my grade 3 Hammer gun and they did not appear to have expanded to the chambers yet so looks like for now I can shoot them in either of my 10 ga guns. My only question is regarding the over shot cards, because after shooting I noticed them about 5-10 yards in front of me. How far should they go from the muzzle? Is this normal or something I did wrong? Thanks
Joseph Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Flynn For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #37
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

I stopped my desire for brass shells when all I encountered use pistol primers, and I couldn't figure out how to re-prime. (I have a big scar on one finger when a regular shotshell primer detonated when I was reloading .410s as a kid with one of those original Lee load-alls and the brass shards buried into my fingers. Happened again recently sans personal injury, when beginning to reload BP shells into plastic cases by hand. I now do black loads on the MEC, but still scoop-dumping at the powder drop station.) Can someone 'splain how to re-prime with pistol primers?
Rick Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #38
Josey Flynn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I’m sorry If I’m making it sound simple, but I don’t fully understand what there is to know about re priming. You just take a punch or the reloading tool and knock the spent primer out and then start to seat the fresh primer with your fingers. Once it is in place you can use a Capping tool or you can apply even pressure on a hard surface with the reloading tool inserted in side the hull until the primer is seated. If I am missing what you mean I apologize.
Unread 04-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #39
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,213 Times in 641 Posts

How did they shoot? Any doubles? I love it when I get double with black powder! I have a few guns with tighter chokes that really shoot well with black powder shells. I often shoot lighter loads too, in fact, I loaded up 50 that are a notch lighter than you did. 3 drams of 1 1/2 F and 1 1/8oz of shot. This works very well on a sporting clays course for a 10.

All the wads and cards do end up all over the place. So nothing unusual about them being 10 ft away. The good news is they are biodegradable unlike plastic wads.

One of the things I like about loading brass shells is that you do it by hand and can use vintage loading tools. I do have an original adjustable powder/shot dipper I do have original cappers in 10, 12, and 16 gauge. Go on Ebay and you'll find them and other original reloading tools. This is the only way I would prime them, I don't like hammering against a flat surface. I have a 12 gauge brass reloading set from RMC that has lots of useful tools including a pin/punch for to knock the primers out, on 10 gauge shells I put the shell on an upside down socket(of about the same size) and then knock it out. On the posted picture you’ll see my dipper and capper, I didn’t put my pin/punch in for the picture, but you can see an original on the Track of the Wolf manual. You can make one or find something on Ebay.

I have really enjoyed these shells and I am glad you got a chance to try yours out already. I would love to get a group of us together and have a Parker black powder shell shoot and/or a plan a hunt using the ammunition these guns would have shot when new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10brass.jpg (96.7 KB, 1 views)
Jay Oliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #40
Josey Flynn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jay, I would love to do a shoot or hunt, sounds like a great idea! I am using all antique hand loading tools as well I have most of them for 10,12,and 16ga. I have acquired some From eBay and gunbroker and inherited some as well. I didn’t have a capping tool(hasn’t arrived yet)for 10ga so I used the wood push dowel/de-priming tool to push down from the inside of the case to seat the primer, I agree with you and don’t think it is a good idea or recommended to use any kind of hammering to seat them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Flynn For Your Post: