Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Fiber Wads and Smokeless Powder for Short 10 Gauge
Unread 07-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
Alex Dawes
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Fiber Wads and Smokeless Powder for Short 10 Gauge

I've been reading through my manuals and some threads here and on a few other sites without much luck. Does anyone know of any data existing for the short 10 and fiber wads using WSF or Red Dot? One of my Ballistic Products manuals has data for 12 gauge loads using brass and plastic hulls with Red Dot and fiber, but has nothing for 10 gauge. If I can't find anything I might start there and work up a bit or if worse comes to worst, I'll just stick with BP for awhile.

I have a few pounds of Red Dot and some WSF laying around, but no plastic wads for 10 gauge which is why I'm contemplating this route if it's been accomplished recently. I know it's possible since fiber was used for years with other smokeless powders, but I'd love to not reinvent the wheel if someone else has dabbled in this. Thanks!
Alex Dawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

look at pete lesters 10 ga loading sheet posted here....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Alex Dawes
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
I did and the couple in there list 31 grains of Red Dot with card wad OP with filler. That's seems like a pretty stiff charge since most of the target loads I see on here are around 20 grains if loaded with a plastic wad. I was nervous about a load with 150% charge since I was under the impression fiber wads loaded with exact charges typically only drop 1000 PSI or so. Am I crazy for thinking this or should I just use the loads as listed? Thanks! I do apologize. I'm a newby to 10 gauge smokeless reloading. I've been using black powder up to this point.
Unread 07-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Alex Dawes
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
Looking at these loads with pressure data is what gave me pause with the 31 grain figure:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22015
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Dawes For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2021, 12:59 AM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I realize it isn’t fiber wads but I use 18.6 of Red Dot with the SP-10 with two 16 ga 1/8” nitro wads in the bottom of the cup and 1 1/8 ounces of shot . Not saying to go out and buy SP-10 wads but you oughtta be able to adapt it some sort of way as it’s quite lite in my opinion .
Unread 07-05-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use a similar load to 6pts . 19 Red dot 16 G fibers inside SP10 wad. 1 1/8 oz shot. Fine target load for short 10. Have used 1 oz with thicker fibers.

When loading “off the Charts” short 10 or 16 G I make a spread sheet with various recommended loads. Comparing you will find a few that don’t make good sense. Individually not obvious sorted by powder brand and charge obviously wrong. Another check is short 10 “USUALY” able to handle 12 G published target loads.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
Alex Dawes
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I realize it isn’t fiber wads but I use 18.6 of Red Dot with the SP-10 with two 16 ga 1/8” nitro wads in the bottom of the cup and 1 1/8 ounces of shot . Not saying to go out and buy SP-10 wads but you oughtta be able to adapt it some sort of way as it’s quite lite in my opinion .
I got into wanting to go smokeless at the wrong time. SP-10s are going for fairly outrageous prices. I just backed of a Gunbroker lot that's made it to $31 without shipping even factored in and 9 hours left. I don't mind black, but my hunting buddies are getting a little tired of not being able to see after I shoot

Any thoughts on starting with similar load data as the SP-10 then building up the wad column and using overshot cards? I can't imagine any pressure issues with those combos, but like I said I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already found something okay. 31 grains from the Hercules manual seems excessive, but if someone is using it I'd love to know how it's working.
Unread 07-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Alex Dawes
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post

When loading “off the Charts” short 10 or 16 G I make a spread sheet with various recommended loads. Comparing you will find a few that don’t make good sense. Individually not obvious sorted by powder brand and charge obviously wrong. Another check is short 10 “USUALY” able to handle 12 G published target loads.

William
Thanks for the pointer. Fortunately there is 12 gauge data available which starts at 18.0 grains of Red Dot and 1 1/8 ounces loads.
Unread 07-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Using a card wad over the powder and felt or fiber filler wads and 1 1/8 ounces or a little more lead shot, 23 to 25 grains of Red Dot won't blow up any ten gauge gun. The standard 12 gauge fiber wad 1200 fps load with 1 1/8 ounces of shot was 23 grains of Red Dot in the sixties. The bigger hole in the ten gauge should allow a couple more grains of powder for similar performance. I would like to see that 31 grain load in print before I believe it.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
Alex Dawes
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I would like to see that 31 grain load in print before I believe it.
I agree. I would like to see the original as well. It was in the document Pete Lester put together and seemed a little off to me. 6 of the 7 loads are over 29 grains of Red Dot in the comprehensive list.

It seems like low 20s is the place to start. I appreciate all the help. My Remington 1894 and my Parker are some hefty 10s