Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

you never pay to much for a gun that you like.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
you never pay to much for a gun that you like.... charlie
yup, i've done it, and more than once scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

never have known the feeling for giving too much for a gun.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,793 Times in 651 Posts

It's not hard to find out. Just try to sell it for what you have in it! It becomes apparent in a hurry.
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Kuss For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
Boxbirder
Forum Associate

Member Info

It's not hard to find out. Just try to sell it for what you have in it! It becomes apparent in a hurry.

Aint that the truth.
Mark Parela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Parela For Your Post:
What raises a red flag to me here?
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default What raises a red flag to me here?

In my experience, guys that are always bragging about their shooting prowess on clays (or live birds, even grackles, barn pigeons etc.) to seel an over priced gun- I'd keep my wallet/checkbook close to my vest and walk away and NOT look back. Let's see what you want in a 12 Parker for your shooting program: a ejector gun with a Miller single trigger, 32" barrels and ventilated rib, pg, beavertail, and possibly different chokes in each tube.

Having a shootable VH(E) Parker "restored" is owner's choice- as I subscribe to what the later Ernest Hemingway once said about his guns: "A gun is to shoot", 90% case colors, barrel blue, etc. don't 'float my boat" Good stock fit and balance for my shooting styles, whether afield after Roosters with a flushing dog, or in a blind waiting to pass shoot Canadas- good mechanics: safety, triggers pulls, ejectors in time- I tend to favor 12 gauges with 30-32" barrels, but my GHE and Smith 3E have 28" barrels and I shoot them quite often.

Briley is indeed a master barrel and choke man, I do not care for Poly-Chokes or Cutts on my Model 12's, and screw in chokes on any side-by or over-under- I shoot the chokes put in my guns at the factory by the old masters, long before all this variable business came out. Clays shooters like to 'tinker" to maybe get one more target on the score card, I am NOT a clays man, I will use spreader loads on occasion.

If I found a Meriden 12 VHE with Miller trigger, original factory rib and factory beavertail ( those two options would make it a mid-1920's era gun) with 30 or 32" uncut barrels and unaltered chokes- NRA good to VG but not "restored or refinished"-- and it fit me and I could kill birds with it- maybe $4000 Top dollar in todays' soft gun market. Mike McIntosh described a restored V grade quite well in his 1989 book "Best Guns" page 268, third from last graph. Words of wisdom in 1989, and still today.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Boxbirder
Forum Associate

Member Info

O&R don't forget Hemmingway killed himself with a WC Scott pigeon gun.
Mark Parela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Parela For Your Post:
Yes- I was at LeJeune in July 1961 when I heard that!
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Yes- I was at LeJeune in July 1961 when I heard that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parela View Post
O&R don't forget Hemmingway killed himself with a WC Scott pigeon gun.
-- rumor was that his wife then, Mary Welsh Hemingway, claimed it was an accident while he was cleaning it. But his father also took his life in 1928 with a Civil War Colt that Ernest Hemingway's Grandfather (paternal) carried as a Colonel in the Union Army in The war of northern Aggression! Hemingway is spelled with one M, like Remington. What a great writer- and his best short story- IMO: "The Short, Happy Life of Francis MaComber" again proves the reason why women don't belong in the man's world of hunting and guns-- If only MaComber had taken the bolt out of that Mannlicher-Schoenaur 6.54 mm carbine before he and Wilson left to finish off the wounded buff. That story had always made me want to own a .505 Gibbs on the Mauser 98 Magnum action- close, but no cigar- I have a .416 Rigby with express sights instead, and will use it some day in Alaska for a Kodiak- my dream hunt. If that doesn't happen, I will devastate some of the feral pigs in Mecosta Co. with it-- like Jim Rikhoff once said to some society broad at a fancy-schmancy NYC cocktail party, when asked by her why he liked to hunt and shoot large animals- his laconic reply- "I guess I just like to hear the smack of large bullets against some solid flesh and bone"--

Hemingway is proof however, albiet in a most tragic manor, of the truth in Aesop's words: "Those whom the Gods bless with great gifts, they also curse with a great and exceeding madness". Have you read Art Wheaton's stellar review of the new book about Hemingway and his guns yet?
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,250 Times in 12,383 Posts

[QUOTE=Francis Morin;37346Have you read Art Wheaton's stellar review of the new book about Hemingway and his guns yet?[/QUOTE]

Yup, read Art's review and agree with him... I've read the book too and it is evident that Calabi (et al) did a marvelous job of researching the Hemingway's Guns subject matter.

Nice job Art!!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

If I have to find you a 32 inch Vent rib, BTF, SST then I'll buy it myself! Just for perspective I have three DHE 12's one a 26 inch skeet (so this doesn't really count) a 28 inch bbl and a 30 incher ALL with vent ribs, BTF, SST and all in original condition for $7000 or less. So we are talking DHE VS VHE thats redone and had Parkers wonderfull chokes reamed out for Brileys for a couple of thou more.

Its easier to buy a gun than it is to sell one...at leat and recoup your investment.

You seem to have made up your mind already and the only person you have to please is yourself
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post: