Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

1913 Trojan Project... Help!
Unread 01-09-2017, 02:35 AM   #1
John Nail
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 1913 Trojan Project... Help!

I recently returned from an amazing South Texas quail hunt, where I borrowed a friends Winchester Parker reproduction. This jogged my memory and I remembered that I had an old unstocked Trojan that I picked up about 20+ years ago from a friend. I had given it to my dad thinking he would do something with it, When I returned I found that he stuck it in his safe, and it has been sitting there. Well, I have spent several days reading old threads and trying to put together a plan. I have a Parker Trojan 12 Ga., 30 inch barrels, serial no. 164537. (See attached pics... Better ones coming) The gun is in great condition in my opinion. Very tight. One small spot of bluing missing, no rust or pitting on the exterior whatsoever (Although the internals show need of cleaning up). Action opens easily, but is very solid and tight, and gun fires as it should. Internal safety bar or mechanism missing and has to be replaced. Opinions for restoration? Ideas? My thoughts are to turn this into an english stocked upland gun... (I can hear the groans and gnashing of teeth). Help!

John Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

Your Trojan has unfortunately been hot blued on both frame and barrels. Solder joints on the barrels could have been compromised due to this.
Do you have a forend for the gun?
Of course any restoaration work on this gun would be a loosing proposition from a fiscal standpoint as you would have WAY more than the valuenofnthe gun into it.

If you are talking about a true restoration, the gun needs a lot more than just a stock.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
John Nail
Forum Associate

Member Info

I thought that could be the case... But, as I have 0 $ in this gun, could it be turned into the gun I described for a reasonable amount? It does have a good forend. I would not be interested in a true restoration, but a nice, working upland field gun. Or, would I be better off just spending my money on a serviceable upland gun? I understand it would have no collector value, but it has none the way it sits now... Thank you for your input!
Unread 01-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Do the barrels ring ? is the stock intact ?

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
John Nail
Forum Associate

Member Info

They do ring, but it had no stock when I received it...
Unread 01-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

John, Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project. In my experience, the best money you could spend, at this point, would be the membership fee ($40.) to join PGCA. There are a lot of very helpful people in this organization who freely share their knowledge of Parker guns. They have not only been a source of experienced advice for me but have saved me far more money than I have paid in dues.
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post: