Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Plus, how much demand is there for 16s? My guess is not much.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,074 Times in 170 Posts

Over the many years of my collecting and "love" for guns I cannot recall once when I purchased one that I did so thinking of present day or future value.
I bought them carefully (as I did have a limited gun fund) but primarily because I liked them and they filled a niche in my small collection. If they happened to
increase in value that was just an extra "bonus" but my primary goal was to enjoy them down life's path! Just how many "dollars" is it worth to hunt, shoot, collect and look at them for their beauty!
My daughters do not seem to be into collecting but my Grandaughter enjoys it and just may be the heir apparent to my gun collection. But, please, don't tell her yet because I want to enjoy them a little longer!!
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #13
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

When you are as involved and invested in the vintage gun market as most of us on this site are, you begin to think the whole world feels or has felt the same way. Well, it doesn't and it never has. Outside of our tight little community, folks aren't now and since the end of WWII have not been particularly interested in side x side shotguns. I've been at this for about 30 years now, quite a while by some standards and not all that long by others, and from the beginning I was usually the only one on the dove field, or the duck pond, or the quail thicket carrying a side x side. Same at the Sporting clays courses. And usually one of the few walking around a gun show looking for a nice old double barrel. But now of course because of my years of associating with the double gun community, I really only hunt with the like minded and only really go to vintage shoots and I really only show up at antique gun shows. All of which make up about 1% of the gun world but seems like the whole world to me. And now I'm in to Trap shooting. And guess what, I'm the only one shooting a vintage single barrel trap gun. Same song, second verse. Prices are probably soft, but as mentioned above the sellers don't seen to have gotten that message yet. We have to remember we're in niche market.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
Plus, how much demand is there for 16s? My guess is not much.
I think similar guns in 12 and 16 the 16 will sell first. This gauge has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in recent years.
Unread 08-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #15
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jay View Post
What’s the best way to negotiate for consignment gun that the shop doesn’t own? I’ve seen 2-3 guns I would have bought but the consignor had unrealistic expectations to the gun’s value. I’ve heard more than once after my reasonable offer was refused with cash in hand that someone will walk into their shop and buy it. Return 6 months later said gun still on rack and made same offer only to be refused again. Doesn’t make sense.
If you came in our shop and wanted to make an offer if I thought it reasonable I’ll call the owner and tell them the offer and in my opinion they should seriously consider it . If on the other hand someone comes in and try’s to lowball the heck out of the item I’ll just tell them I am 200% sure that won’t be accepted . We have about half of a fellows Browning accumulation in the shop and all of its priced at about 1 1/2 times what I think the fair market value to be . But we have sold some of it .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #16
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

I made an addendum to my will specifying who gets my guns. My oldest grandson will get several Parkers, including a very nice 20 ga Trojan that Brad B. restored for me. My other Parkers are to be given to the 3 gents that I regularly shoot clays with and hunt with. I'm the oldest in the group and most likely the first to go.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 342 Posts

There are several factors at work in the classic gun market now.First,tastes have changed and people that shoot now generally want more modern guns.Therefore the "shooter" grade doubles have dropped in value.Second,mint "collector"grade guns are bringing more than ever.The market is changing to a pure collector market.Third,there are a lot of classic guns out there now.One of the things that drove this market when I started was Parkers and other doubles were considered rare and hard to find.The internet has killed that mystique.There are now hundreds of good doubles listed on various sites now.Economics 101,high supply means lower prices.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,668 Times in 1,860 Posts

I understand totally what you mean John when you say that you are the only one with a SxS. I shoot a fair amount of sporting clays and I would say that counting the State shoot I have shot 8-10 registered shoots this year, all with a SxS and I do not recall seeing one other SxS, not one. At the State shoot where they have trappers/score keepers at each station I inevitably got a comment from them, usually the same, that's the only one of them I've seen or you're the only guy shooting one of those. I will see a few SxS guns at fun shoots at the local club but that is about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
When you are as involved and invested in the vintage gun market as most of us on this site are, you begin to think the whole world feels or has felt the same way. Well, it doesn't and it never has. Outside of our tight little community, folks aren't now and since the end of WWII have not been particularly interested in side x side shotguns. I've been at this for about 30 years now, quite a while by some standards and not all that long by others, and from the beginning I was usually the only one on the dove field, or the duck pond, or the quail thicket carrying a side x side. Same at the Sporting clays courses. And usually one of the few walking around a gun show looking for a nice old double barrel. But now of course because of my years of associating with the double gun community, I really only hunt with the like minded and only really go to vintage shoots and I really only show up at antique gun shows. All of which make up about 1% of the gun world but seems like the whole world to me. And now I'm in to Trap shooting. And guess what, I'm the only one shooting a vintage single barrel trap gun. Same song, second verse. Prices are probably soft, but as mentioned above the sellers don't seen to have gotten that message yet. We have to remember we're in niche market.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #19
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
...I am still actively buying and not real concerned about future value as my stuff brings me joy.
Amen
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,343 Times in 4,421 Posts

Being in the buying mode, a buyer's market is fine with me for the time being. John Allen is right about the internet increasing supply. Same thing happened in old books which I collect too
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote