Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Soft gun prices
Unread 08-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Soft gun prices

Do prices for above average side by side shooters seem to be soft because the market has slowed or is changing? I own a few Parkers and Winchester Model 21’s and have been looking at prices for both in 16 gauge. It seems IMO that Model 21 asking prices today are below prices of 1 or 2 years ago and the guns I follow online don’t ever seem to sell. Above average Parker 16’s seem to sit on the shelves too and when called the owners are not wanting to move off their prices. Are others seeing the same market dynamics with side by sides?
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tom,

I agree with prices being soft. Dealers seem to still keep their prices high and some guns stay online for sale for a long time. Dealers may have a lot of consignment guns allowing the guns to stay for sale with little overhead.

It isn't just model 21s and Parkers either. Quite a few makes of side by sides are for sale for a long time.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jay View Post
Do prices for above average side by side shooters seem to be soft because the market has slowed or is changing?
Sad to say, but the market IS changing. Today's shooters want:

1) over/unders
2) plastic stocks
3) choke tubes, and
4) Scores/huge bags of game.

Not art, craftsmanship, heritage... or field sport as we knew it.

Proof? Just thumb through a copy of any popular shooting magazine. You'll see the market of tomorrow.

It's media/tech driven. And it isn't going to change.

On a brighter note, California is burning to the ground... (sarcasm)
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Another thing not yet mentioned is that the market has become flooded with these guns.

The older collectors are facing their mortality and, often as not, with nobody in their families to pass them down to, they go to market.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Another thing not yet mentioned is that the market has become flooded with these guns.

The older collectors are facing their mortality and, often as not, with nobody in their families to pass them down to, they go to market.

I already gave my wife a list of what I want put in the box with my ashes
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

We see this almost every day at the shop . People die and the family wants the money rather then the guns . Now I’m not saying everything we move for folks are upper quality guns but we do see a fair amount . Quite a few times we’ve had folks come in after someone died and say dad told us this one was worth blah blah blah , and I tell them what a more likely value is in today’s market . They tell me I’m crazy and we lost it at what they say , six months later I’ve talked them down to what I told them and the gun sells .
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What’s the best way to negotiate for consignment gun that the shop doesn’t own? I’ve seen 2-3 guns I would have bought but the consignor had unrealistic expectations to the gun’s value. I’ve heard more than once after my reasonable offer was refused with cash in hand that someone will walk into their shop and buy it. Return 6 months later said gun still on rack and made same offer only to be refused again. Doesn’t make sense.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

The market is soft in my opinion except for the very best stuff be it guns or decoys. 17th and 18th century antique furniture is in a deep depression I hope vintage guns and hunting memorabilia doesn't follow. That being said I am still actively buying and not real concerned about future value as my stuff brings me joy.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Two nice guns sold on here today ! Do we think the prices were soft or inline ? Just wondering.
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Local Grand Rapids Gun Show Today
Unread 08-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Michael D Hankinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Local Grand Rapids Gun Show Today

Interesting day at the local Grand Rapids MI gun show???today. My Impression is this is turning into more of a knife show, black gun parts, even had a pillow salesman there today. I did see a new Vendor at the show, had a "G" Grade Parker $1495, and a Holland & Holland side by side for $37,000, don't normally see a lot of those guns at this show. I carried two Twelve Gauge SXS guns for sale, a FOX Philadelphia Sterlingworth and an LC Smith that had been restocked with some really nice wood. Lots of lookers, no serious offers. Comments are "Nobody wants to buy a 12 today. I must confess at 74 I lean to my lighter guns today except for Turkeys and Woodchuck down near the garden.
Did sell a Remington 1100 20 gauge that I had replaced in the rotation with a Browning Sweet Sixteen. My best purchase today was a box of 3" 20 gauge ammo for $5 and two 12 gauge boxes of Woodchuck ammo for $4 each. Spent three and a half hours looking, talking and handling guns, except that Holland & Holland, and enjoyed the day.
Michael D Hankinson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael D Hankinson For Your Post: