Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker small bore classification
Unread 08-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker small bore classification

I know simple question, but its a curio of mine. What gauges fall under this classification? Is it 16, 20 and .410, leaving 10 and 12 as big bore?
Thanks guys!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Riddell View Post
I know simple question, but its a curio of mine. What gauges fall under this classification? Is it 16, 20 and .410, leaving 10 and 12 as big bore?
Thanks guys!
what do you have against the 28????

the 16 was a small bore when it came out

i guess it depends on the reason for the question

i think in skeet rules a 16 has to play with the 12s, but some of the clays events i have been to include 16 in small bores

since i mostly have 10's and 12's - so 16 is small to me
Unread 08-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
what do you have against the 28????

the 16 was a small bore when it came out

i guess it depends on the reason for the question

i think in skeet rules a 16 has to play with the 12s, but some of the clays events i have been to include 16 in small bores

since i mostly have 10's and 12's - so 16 is small to me
I can't believe I spaced on the 28!! That's my go to gauge!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

In all the shoots I go to the 16 is grouped with the 12's but it is considered by many as a small bore. To me a small bore is from the 20 to the 410. I shoot a lot of 16's and always compete with the 12's which is fine by me. 7/8's is plenty of shot for a clay target or kill a bird.
Unread 08-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

I believe historically 12 and larger to be big bore and 16 and smaller to be small bore. Where the 14 falls in is an unanswered question not to worry about.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

What is the old saying... 16 gauge.... Hits like a 12 shoots like a 20. I think 16 is gray tipping point between big bore and small bore ideaology.

Recall reading some sxs expert that would put his customization to some newer guns coming out. He defined that 16 gauge and smaller were considered small bore guns and most adequate for upland hunting. Not trying to start a debate or argument but that was his position. BTW there have been plenty of times when grouse hunting I would not have minded carrying a light 12 with open chokes to sling more lead at grouse in thick cover.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I've always and still consider small bores to be any gauge smaller than 12ga. Especially when you are talking about 16's on gauge appropriate frames like Parker 0-frames or A.H. Fox 16's sharing the same action with the 20ga.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,842 Posts

Depends on whether I am buying or selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Riddell View Post
Thanks guys!
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
What is the old saying... 16 gauge.... Hits like a 12 shoots like a 20. I think 16 is gray tipping point between big bore and small bore ideaology.

Recall reading some sxs expert that would put his customization to some newer guns coming out. He defined that 16 gauge and smaller were considered small bore guns and most adequate for upland hunting. Not trying to start a debate or argument but that was his position. BTW there have been plenty of times when grouse hunting I would not have minded carrying a light 12 with open chokes to sling more lead at grouse in thick cover.

And when I was a kid cutting my 'hunting teeth' on pheasants I shot a 20 and did very well with it. Even after my friend took his Trojan 12 (that I had been using for three solid years) with him when he moved to Idaho I gladly went back to my twenties for pheasants, puddle ducks, and grouse. Never seemed to make much difference what gauge I shot but the twenties were always lighter to carry. My first 16 was a Parker in about 2005.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Agree with you Dean.

I really enjoy carrying and shooting a nice lively small bore when hunting and 99% of the time that is what I am grabbing when shooting upland style hunting. Can only really remember one time that I felt really under gunned and that was grouse hunting in MN carrying a 20 ga. Got into an area that was maybe timbered 5 to 7 years before and new growth was thick with 12 to 15 foot tall tree saplings about wrist thick and in some places spaced about the same distance as jail cell bars. It was so tight in there and most still had leaves on em and every 75 yards we beat thru that grouse maze we would hear or see a flush. Most of the time never saw dog but if did not hear his bell would move to last position we heard him and sure enough he would be on a bird. They would flush about 25 yards from us or further. Lost count of flushes but it must have been 30 to 40.

I don't know how many actual birds or reflushes we got but I only saw 15 of them. Had quick fleeting shots on 10 of them and scratched down 3 and felt damn good about it due to some incredible dog work. Only got those because they flew like pheasant or woodcock flying straight up to break cover then flattening out. I thinned the tops of a lot trees. We zigg zagged all through that just trying to follow dog. That was first time in my life I actually felt I had a legitimate chance to daily limit out on grouse and thought some extra shot would have been helpful. That is also first time in my life where I got so turned around somewhere with no landmarks that I needed my compass to orient out of some place.

Having a 12 gauge with open chokes and more shot in the pattern might of helped. In the immortal words of Jack Elam after John Wayne tells him his splatter gun is useless. "Don't mind if I shoot do ya? It makes me feel better."
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote