Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #71
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

This might have been addressed and I just missed it. Is their any known concerns with shooting tungsten through a damascus bbl with full chokes?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 05-31-2018, 09:14 PM   #72
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Being harder than steel and denser than lead, I would think so.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #73
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yea, I don't think they recommend shooting steel shot even thru full choke fluid steel barrels. There could be work arounds though but think your pushing your luck with damascus on anything harder than lead

I think there are some English loads called Black Gold that use a Tungsten powder that are molded into pellets, supposedly acts like lead, but think its a non toxic shot as opposed to high energy down range shot.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 06-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #74
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i finally got hold of halwill be ordering shot soon...hal says he will provide reloading info...i should say my wife got the email to go thru....will be testing the shot soon got to make me a shot catcher like j a made....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #75
Grouse28
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been following the praises of this shot and it is remarkable. However, and keep this in mind I have not hunted turkey for more than a few years. I thought the point was to call them in. How many turkeys have been killed with lead shot and old guns? Yes at more than 40 yards with tight chokes a scope is in order, maybe an account for the drop in elevation beyond much more distance?
I guess man will always push the limits.
David Gehman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Gehman For Your Post:
Unread 06-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #76
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gehman View Post
I have been following the praises of this shot and it is remarkable. However, and keep this in mind I have not hunted turkey for more than a few years. I thought the point was to call them in. How many turkeys have been killed with lead shot and old guns? Yes at more than 40 yards with tight chokes a scope is in order, maybe an account for the drop in elevation beyond much more distance?
I guess man will always push the limits.
The point of my thread was that it would be no longer necessary to carry and hold up that 10 gauge Parker or even an 8 gauge for turkeys. There is nothing worse than crippling a magnificent turkey. Yes, the idea is to get them in less than 40 yards. But sometimes they don't and sometimes we screw up and shoot at over 40; and lose a turkey to the vermin of the woods.

Small bore to me means and is usually accepted to be 16 gauge and smaller. With the TSS, I feel confident that a tightly choked 20 gauge with just one ounce will kill every time out to 40 yards.

On the last turkey I killed on a wet morning before daylight with the trees full of leaves I got within thirty yards of a roosted bird. For nearly an hour I held up a 12 gauge 1910 Fox A grade choked modified and full; I could not have held up a heavy 10. I had my finger over the front trigger thinking he is flying down right in front of me. He flew away and hit the ground at over fifty yards and my brain did not react and I pulled the trigger when he hit the ground. Lead, no bird and a big mistake. With TSS, my light load of 1 1/4 ounces of 9s killed him as dead as a stone. Wrong barrel, wrong choke, too far, but it is a forgiving shot. Next year, I will move down to a 16 or a 20 since I know what it will do. For a stubborn bird, I will take the modern 10 and throw 2 1/4 ounces at him if I get the chance!

My eastern turkeys never react as the ones I watch on TV, coming in in a flock to attack a decoy, and then standing around so a second one gets shot by the cameraman. You'll see my videos are usually in open oak woods and it is one bird at a time. My birds are not TV actors. I'm always baffled by the advertisement for tight choke tubes and special shells, and every video shows a turkey killed at ten yard blowing its head off, where any gun even the lowly .410 would have killed it. When I get them to thirty yards, I let the pattern do the work; I don't wait for the five yard shot.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #77
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

anybody loading the tungston shot and pattering it..i have not bought any yet but plan to soon...i loaded up some 10 ga hulls the other day they are brass some of the old hulls had to be over a hundred years old...always wanted to load these old brass hulls and now i know how and done it....been interested in 10 ga round balls here lately one thing for sure not much info on loading round ball 10 ga loads.... i have shot 12 ga slugs in a 10 ga by useing a gauge mate...the accuracy is pretty good out of one barrel but not to good in the other barrel....charlie
Unread 06-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #78
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Charlie,

Look at my very first post on this thread. There are photos of the patterns. The reason I loaded 12s to start with was to shoot the 1 1/4 ounce in my 10s with GaugeMates, or 12s if I wanted to. I never got around to shooting the shells in my 10 but shot them in three different 12s with killing patterns at 40 yards, and even one ounce in the 20.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #79
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

jerry i looked at the pattern those are really something...i like the idea of useing gauge mates in the 10 ga with this new shot..but i m just gona have to try it in my 8 ga you know how it is....got to try a paper target at 75 yards...i know big shot like 2 s and bb s will kill at extreme ranges my farthest shot with the 8 ga has been 67 steps with a clean kill useing lead bb s 2 3/4 ounce of shot... if i had a modern 8 ga i believe i could go to 3 ounces and be ok i have shot 3 ounces in the mag 10 and in the 8 ga the 10 did not pattern well but the 8 ga shooting lead bbs put several holes in a 5 gallon plastic bucket at 85 steps and the shot went thru both sides with ease...and this was a thick plastic bucket.... i too may have to shoot the smaller gauges soon....charlie