Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #51
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom Flanigan;255044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Somehow they escaped the witch trials of 1692-93 where more people in Andover were accused, sent to Salem, tried and put to death than residents of Salem, else you might not be with us today.

I have a cute little 28 gauge DHE with an original beavertail that I find preferable in the uplands to a splinter when wearing gloves.

My comments are a bit over the top and tongue in cheek. But I hate to see a beavertail and single trigger on a London Best gun. It looks unnatural. I never did like them on a field Parker, but to each his own.

As far as the witch trials, my grandfather, Ralph Farnum Jr, was a grand juryman for the beginning of the hearings in 1692, but died before rendering service. Ralph III and his brother John were summoned on July 30, 1692 to appear as witnesses against Martha Carrier of Andover who was tried for witchcraft and who was hanged August 19, 1692. I have a record of their testimony and the back story passed down through the family and the text of a period letter written by a cousin describing the impact on the family. It is fascinating and not what you would expect.
I would love to read the text of letter. Maybe you could post it over on the "Off Topic forum.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #52
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

How old was your grandfather when he died. Had to be at least 150. Ha!
Buddy Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddy Harrison For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #53
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Read " Lock, Stock, & Barrel " by Cyril Adams & Robert Braden
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #54
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,193 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom Flanigan;255044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Somehow they escaped the witch trials of 1692-93 where more people in Andover were accused, sent to Salem, tried and put to death than residents of Salem, else you might not be with us today.

I have a cute little 28 gauge DHE with an original beavertail that I find preferable in the uplands to a splinter when wearing gloves.

My comments are a bit over the top and tongue in cheek. But I hate to see a beavertail and single trigger on a London Best gun. It looks unnatural. I never did like them on a field Parker, but to each his own.

As far as the witch trials, my grandfather, Ralph Farnum Jr, was a grand juryman for the beginning of the hearings in 1692, but died before rendering service. Ralph III and his brother John were summoned on July 30, 1692 to appear as witnesses against Martha Carrier of Andover who was tried for witchcraft and who was hanged August 19, 1692. I have a record of their testimony and the back story passed down through the family and the text of a period letter written by a cousin describing the impact on the family. It is fascinating and not what you would expect.
Yeah, Tom, it is a bit over the top what you said, I have a H&H 16 made in the 30's that has a single trigger, oh and it was ordered by an Englishman , I have a beautiful H&H 20 that was ordered by an American which has double triggers, so.....
Eric Eis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #55
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

Back in the early 80-s in the bar districk when I was out for a TIME.....I found three young college gals. I stayed out front of things, It did not take me long to choose my target. The choices were all good. A 5-5 dark haired country girl cut as a button with a big smile and little dimpled cheeks. A skinny red head with fire in here eyes and a rack that was hard to miss! And finally the one I liked....she was fine, curvy little blonde. I could tell she was smart and kept her head above the crowd. As I watched and planed I saw her blow off several young dudes like a james bond girl would! Here is my chance...her two friends were off mingling so I sat down next to her....she had this lovely English accent, stunning blue eyes, long legs and a low cut short red dress, not cheep in anyway. Time stopped for a moment as we talked. Her friends returned we all chatted and had a few. It was a good time. I left with that cute little country girl...(-: A fella has to know his limitations!!! But I always wonder about that curvy little blond from England. SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #56
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,851 Times in 4,747 Posts

Do you have any contact information on the other two girls? What about pictures?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #57
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Do you have any contact information on the other two girls? What about pictures?
You will eventually require dimensions as well don't you think Bill ?
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #58
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

[QUOTE=todd allen;255345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
I would love to read the text of letter. Maybe you could post it over on the "Off Topic forum.
I will post the text of the letter in the Off Topic forum after Christmas. My grandfather (10?) and his family went through hardship as a result of the two trials in which he testified against Martha Carrier (who was hung) and Hopestill Tylers wife who was acquitted. The family letter describes him as being "dragged" before the court. But family history indicates another reason for his testimony. I do believe that he did think Martha Carrier was a true witch based on her interactions with him, which were not pleasant. I'll provide more information in the Off Topic forum.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #59
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,851 Times in 4,747 Posts

My ex, probably on her mother's side, is a direct descendent of Sarah Hale. I have no serious information about this relationship. The family were sometime residents of Lexington, Salem, and later, Rockport. All gone now, including my ex. I don't need dimensions on those three girls. After forty years, I think I can imagine them.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #60
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
My ex, probably on her mother's side, is a direct descendent of Sarah Hale. I have no serious information about this relationship. The family were sometime residents of Lexington, Salem, and later, Rockport. All gone now, including my ex. I don't need dimensions on those three girls. After forty years, I think I can imagine them.

A little "Bubble bubble toil and trouble" eh Bill?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote