Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #31
Russell Schilb
Forum Associate

Member Info

I go to this every year. Hard to imagine there are this many ways to fix squirrel.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/wor...ear/1422233447
Russell Schilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
When I was a kid growing up in central Illinois one of the favorite squirrel hunting guns was a Savage Model 24; .22 over a 410. I used a Westernfield copy of the Winchester 67 single shot. I still take it to the range couple times a year, it now has a Lyman Alaskan and still is extremely accurate.
In the early 60's Dad acquired a Savage Model 24 ,22 Mag over 20 Gauge at Bob Kissels Sporting Goods ,what a place ! We /HE had Beagles at the time and Old Cleo his best dog was a slow runner but never seemed to lose a Bunny ,if the Rabbit was running Dad would use the 20 Gauge and if it would hop and sit he would use the 22 Mag ! It was suppose to be a Turkey gun but I don't think it ever killed a Turkey just Rabbits and Squirrel ! The day Dad bought it we took Cleo out she brought the first Bunny around ,I was about eight years old and Dad handed the Model 24 to me and let me try to get the Sitting Rabbit using the shotgun barrel I was so excited " I MISSED " we laughed but I was hooked , I have it in the safe as we speak ,Thanks for Posting George your post brings back Great Memories !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #33
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

russ the first gun i ever shot at the age of 8 years was my uncles model 24 stevens it was the plastic stock version in 22 over 410..my tarket was a 55 gallon drum i closed my eyes pulled the trigger and missed that 55 gallon barrel....a few years back i traded for a plastic stock 22 and 410 on the bottom i still have it and use it with my squirl dog and i go hunting...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #34
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
russ the first gun i ever shot at the age of 8 years was my uncles model 24 stevens it was the plastic stock version in 22 over 410..my tarket was a 55 gallon drum i closed my eyes pulled the trigger and missed that 55 gallon barrel....a few years back i traded for a plastic stock 22 and 410 on the bottom i still have it and use it with my squirl dog and i go hunting...charlie
These accounts of squirrel hunting past are intriguing. Small game was once the gateway to deer and turkey. Now rabbits and squirrels get ignored by so many. Too bad. I can read the nostalgia in these accounts.

Charlie, now that we have discussed our boyhood squirrel guns, we need to share tales of those squirrel dogs we grew up with (and, in your case, have now). There's nothing quite like a good squirrel dog. Charlie, tell us about yours, please.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #35
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

For the gentleman squirrel hunter

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #36
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

wow....charlie
Unread 10-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #37
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

my present squirl dog is actually belongs to my granddaughter katie haynes.... she stays with me dureing the daylight hours and is picked up by my daughter after dark...if they come after her before dark she will run away back to my house...we only live about 400 yards apart across an open field....now the dogs name is daisey she is a jack russel she has a long tail because my katie would not let them chop her tail off as most jack russels are bob tail...at the age of 1 year old daisey began hunting and treeing with another small dog we called spot...spot would really tree them squirls but was gun shy when spot and daisey treed i would go to them but if spot seen the gun she would come off the tree and hide....but little daisey was never gun shy for some reason...dogs growing up with gun shy dogs will usally be gun shy too...as dasiey became 2 years old one day they were out hunting but spot was caught by a coyote and eaten...daisey made it back to the house ok...i went hunting for spot the next day found her all that was left of her was a little hide and hair...i and family were heart broken over this...for a whole year daisey never hunted or treed another squirl nor wood she follow me into the woods...but the following year she began to take interest in hunting again....she turned into a really good squirl dog over the next 6 years she and i stayed in the woods when the leaves fell off... one time a friend of mine came over with his beagle it was a super good squirl dog...he wanted to see how daisey stacked up to his dog...at the end of the hunting day daisey had treed 6 more times than the beagle she had a great day ...i had to brag on daisey i asked my friend what he thought of daisey he said she just got luckey...my friend never told no one about his dog being beaten... daisey has the best bark you have ever heard at the tree...she will start out growling far about 15 to 20 secounds before she barks then she barks about 5 times then starts the growling again....i tell everyone she has to get wound up before she barks treed...for the last 2 years i have not got to hunt with her very much i had a heart attack and my energy and will to hunt was almost gone...but about 4 1/2 months back my energy began to increase and my will to hunt has returned as if by magic i thank GODfor this every day...as soon as the leaves get off daisey and i will hit the trail again....charlie
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #38
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

A squirrel would have to be privileged to be shot with that gun.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #39
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie. I hope you put that little dog on a diet. She looked a little chubby the last time I saw her. Good luck with the squirrels.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #40
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

shes still pretty plump but gets around mighty good to be that big...she is 10 years old now so in dog years she is the same age as i am i m 71....she treed 2 times yesterday while i was putting out a feeder for deer....shes in good shape i got to get in shape myself... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: