Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Author Recommendation
Unread 09-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Benjamin Koppes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cool Author Recommendation

Dove season is rocking now and I hope everyone is knocking dowm some birds. In your downtime I highly recommend checking out a fascinating book by Doug Stewart titled The Traditional Side by Side:King of the Upland Bird Guns. This book has helped me transition over to SxS shotguns and helped me learn som much more about these beautiful Parker guns and the rich tradtion they carry with them. website to find this book is www.dougstewartauthor.com and I've seen them give away free copies on the FB page King of the Upland Bird Guns. Id love to hear thoughts on this book and start a discussion or review!
Benjamin Koppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I've ordered one for myself and I believe there might also be a copy in the 2018 Silent Auction at our Annual Meeting on Saturday evening.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Benjamin,

I assume you have seen this thread. I also listened to Doug in the podcast link. I haven't ordered the book. What are your thoughts on the book?

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #4
Benjamin Koppes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Benjamin,

I assume you have seen this thread. I also listened to Doug in the podcast link. I haven't ordered the book. What are your thoughts on the book?

Ken
Honestly Mr. Hill this book changed the game for me. Not only did it have great information on birds and stories from Mr. Stewart's hunts over the years, but the fine detail that he displays about shotguns really pulled me in. This is a book that my uncle, who has been hunting birds for over 30 years can learn something from, but also a book that I will pass down to my 11 year old who just completed his hunters ed. I feel like I just advanced to the next level in "shotguns". Plus the rich tradition that side by sides carry is truly fascinating. If you enjoyed his podcast you would absolutely love the book!!

Plus, I see you're from COS, Mr. Stewart is in Loveland! What is that from you? (about an hour or so from me up in Cheyenne!) I've put it on my goal sheet to meet Doug one day since I'm so close. THAT'S how much I appreciate this book lol.
Unread 09-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

It is about 1 hr and 50 mins for me to get to Loveland. Of course Denver traffic can add a lot more time.

I'm still on the fence about the book and just trying to get some more information on it.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #6
Benjamin Koppes
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cool

I've seen a few threads about the book from other guys on this site talking about the book, and I do know that all the pictures and info on the website www.dougstewartauthor.com is directly from the book, it covers a lot of different topics, proper fit, correct shot size, working with dogs, birds, stories, etc.. is there something specific you're looking to learn more about or interested in? Let me know and Ill let you know if the book covers it.