Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #101
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,598 Times in 1,842 Posts

Prior to the season I had mentioned that I had hopes of tagging a long bead with a Parker. Never pursued turkeys with a SxS before as I have stuck with archery equipment for the last several years. The beginning of turkey season here in IN and the Southern are the same weekends so that week was a no go.
I did get to go out a little the following weekend but the birds did not read the packaging on my decoys and reacted in a totally inappropriate manner, stupid birds ! Finally on the last morning of the season it all came together and I was able to call this long beard in. Appeared to be a 3 year old with an 11" beard. I was using RST ammo with 1 1/4 oz of #4 in my 34" VHE. In as much as I love those long barrels I have to admit they are not made for carrying through the woods. Not real handy in a blind either. No matter how far back I sat in that blind I still had a lot of barrel protruding which is not a real issue until you have to move from window A to Window B then it gets a little tricky. I'm gonna need a bigger blind or get that move perfected for next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey.jpg (426.5 KB, 9 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #102
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

great storey of the hunt and a nice bird indeed....i agree with you long barrels are not easy to carry around in the woods...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #103
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Awesome reports. Wish I could have gotten out this year to chase them but not able to for all kind of the wrong and indefensible reason. Glad to hear of some of the great successful harvests, the successful outings with family and ole Jerry giving up a bird in the hand for hopefully a greater good. Btw I'm certain Jerry felt he got whacked a little with a boat paddle to give up the bird.

Reminded of the story Jeff Foxworthy told about bass fishing with Jerry Reed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7uDPSQyQU

BTw Phil that is awesome you hunting turkey's in Arizona by the Grand Canyon. I had no idea there was even hunt-able population of birds even in that region of the country.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #104
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well its over and I didn't tag out but I sure enjoyed trying.This was my fourth season hunting turkeys I don't know why I didn't start years earlier but I just sat around listening to them gobble. Finally about half way through the first season I decided to give it a try and found it was a lot of fun. The birds that I hunt rarely gobble but they will often come in quietly because of coyotes I believe as they will also come in quietly. Just yesterday thought about how many days until dove season. Sure hope I am able to do it again next year. One good turkey equals maybe a hundred doves and I like turkey better. My wife has begun to like it also. My daughter who is eating organic food only thought I had cooked some of her chicken ate some and thought it was the best chicken she had ever eaten. About two hours later I told her it was wild turkey and it was as organic as it gets. She had a fit. Go figure.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #105
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,598 Times in 1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson View Post
Well its over and I didn't tag out but I sure enjoyed trying.This was my fourth season hunting turkeys I don't know why I didn't start years earlier but I just sat around listening to them gobble. Finally about half way through the first season I decided to give it a try and found it was a lot of fun. The birds that I hunt rarely gobble but they will often come in quietly because of coyotes I believe as they will also come in quietly. Just yesterday thought about how many days until dove season. Sure hope I am able to do it again next year. One good turkey equals maybe a hundred doves and I like turkey better. My wife has begun to like it also. My daughter who is eating organic food only thought I had cooked some of her chicken ate some and thought it was the best chicken she had ever eaten. About two hours later I told her it was wild turkey and it was as organic as it gets. She had a fit. Go figure.
Gerald I pulled a similar prank many years ago on my girls only I used beef tongue. Figured it would be good for a laugh and that would be the end of it.
They loved it and now they ask me to fix it on a regular basis, go figure. Hang in there with the turkeys, they are similar to Parkers in that they can both be addicting.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #106
Jim P.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Northern New Hampshire is full of turkeys this season......often 5 toms in the field at once now, with other hens roosting, only one hen as a companion. Poor thing gets lots of attention. Two pictures; this year's tom (May 7) registered at 22lbs, 10" beard, 1 1/2" spurs (1903 VH 12ga, Polywad low brass #6, 2 3/4 dram shell) and the other picture is just three of the toms with the hens in April before they bedded down. To be honest, I sit on the edge of the field, do a little clucking and this year's tom came within 20yds in less than an hour. Don't be jealous, it's not always that way....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 Spring Turkey.jpg (311.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Front Door Turkeys.jpg (114.0 KB, 2 views)
Jim Pasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jim Pasman For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #107
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pasman View Post
Northern New Hampshire is full of turkeys this season......often 5 toms in the field at once now, with other hens roosting, only one hen as a companion. Poor thing gets lots of attention. Two pictures; this year's tom (May 7) registered at 22lbs, 10" beard, 1 1/2" spurs (1903 VH 12ga, Polywad low brass #6, 2 3/4 dram shell) and the other picture is just three of the toms with the hens in April before they bedded down. To be honest, I sit on the edge of the field, do a little clucking and this year's tom came within 20yds in less than an hour. Don't be jealous, it's not always that way....
I'm certainly jealous!! Congrats
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 05-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #108
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

thats a great looking bird and gun....you called him in close....great.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #109
Jim P.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
thats a great looking bird and gun....you called him in close....great.....charlie
There's a little story behind the gun, Charlie. Got it for the price of taking it out of a good friend's attic in 2009. Been stored there over 20 yrs in a too tight Redhead case and covered in dusty rust with a broken wrist, bores not too bad. Took her home, used the RX instruction on the PGCA website, repaired the stock, cleaned her inside and out and had my first Parker. I call her "Ruthie" after the lady who gave it to me.
Jim Pasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Pasman For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #110
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Great pics and story. Julia and I think of you often and the nights around the campfire sipping bourbon and burning cigars. Thanks for posting that.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!