Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 01-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,377 Times in 12,413 Posts

Bill Davis,

It has always been common knowledge that the original 16 ga. barrel sets that were "lost" in the flood were those made by Krieghoff. This is the first time I've ever heard they were Merkel barrels.... You sure about that?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sorry--You are right. I meant to say Krieghoff--NOT Merkel. The ICD barrels in 16 ga. were made by Merkel. Sorry for any confusion.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave- although it is tough to diagnose these things remotely, there are a limited number of things that would prevent your toplever from snapping back on these barrels (presuming they function properly on the original set). I suspicions (as Ho'ace Miller was wont to say...) that the bolt is hanging up on the wear plate (mostly likely the angle of the plate is just a hair shallow. As one can not mess with the bolt on a 2 barrel set, a little engineers blue (or magic marker) on the plate might show you the spot and a stroke or two with a stone might make it work normally. Ideally, you could fix this easily and still complain about in retrospect..a win/win situation for you...

Last edited by Don Kaas; 01-27-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don - I "suspicioned" the same thing and did file the bolt plate down a little (didn't want to get carried away). I next "suspicioned" it may be hanging on the side where the little flange on the bolt hits the side of the wear plate. I tried using some lamp black to diagnose exactly where the problem might be but no clear trouble spot was evident. I need to just send it off to someone and stop b****ing. I apologize for being so negative about these barrels but every time I read one of these threads smoke blows out of my ears.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

These problems can be frustrating...I've been there and done that.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Dave, I recommend Russ Bickel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I tossed in my deposit a few days ago, then went and found a 28g Repro to use them on. Found a nice one at Jaqua's. Then decided to register on this forum. I have a couple other Parkers, both damascus #1 frame 12g.

I called Lou before buying the barrels. He said the barrels are a one time production run. A day later, a lady called from CSM and told me they didn't expect to run the .410 barrels for quite some time, the 410 barrels being the last of all the gauges to be made. She said it could be as much as a year from now. Then she asked if I wanted to cancel my order. I didn't. I'll wait.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Hey Chuck, welcome! Is Jaqua's still selling off their "last batch" or are they just continuing trading in Repros?

Tell us about your 1-frame 12's.

Dean
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Dean,
My 28g is a secondhand one that someone closeted. It's been fired but not much. 28" M/F straight stock, SST. splinter. It was a consigned gun.

The #1 frame guns are both G grade extractor guns. One is a 28" pistol grip gun that has been restocked nicely. The other is a 26" straight stocked gun that I'm in the middle of restocking and has .040/.005 chokes and is a great little upland gun.

I had to re-lay the ribs on the 28" gun. It was my first job re-laying ribs. I had been working up to such a job and searched and prodded for information on how to do it. I found it fairly straightforward. I won't go so far as to say it was easy, but it wasn't terribly difficult either. I did a tutorial with pics on it as I went and posted on doublegunshop.com. RevDocDrew (Drew Hause) posted most of it on his doublegun knowledge website. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18691676
I did some experimentation on a sample damascus tube with some of the information that Dr Gaddy published along with some of my old emails with him. I got a great result for a black and white pattern and I'm ready to do the barrels I re-layed .
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I don't know if I'd have the guts to tackle a rib re-laying job even though one of my Parkers could benefit from it.
Have you shot the gun since re-laying it? I wonder if POI is affected by such work...
People like Drew and the late Oscar are invaluable to the double gun community - we're lucky to have such people.