Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #11
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,669 Times in 1,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Matt, at the awards ceremony at Hausmann's in June,an official from the Vintage Cup indicated that they were going to try and get cell phone or internet coverage. Any word on that?
Huhhhhh. No cell, no internet, seriously. I love this place already Chuck.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Randy, all you got to do is use the off button
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,867 Times in 4,754 Posts

I have always gotten good cell phone coverage at Ernie's.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,669 Times in 1,861 Posts

Quote:
Randy, all you got to do is use the off button
Good point !
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Like most everyone I try to get away with no interruptions but at times the cell might need to be used. Verizon coverage is unreliable at Hidden Hollow with "No Coverage" or maybe 1 bar 1X signal. I don't know about other carriers. My cell phone booster will increase Verizon to 2-3 bars 3G, and voice and texts work just fine. If anyone is planning to use a Verizon cell for family contact or necessary biz while at HH you might ask around with friends etc and see if you can borrow a booster.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 09-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #16
MattHaney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Matt, at the awards ceremony at Hausmann's in June,an official from the Vintage Cup indicated that they were going to try and get cell phone or internet coverage. Any word on that?
Chuck, I don't have the final answer yet. I know we're trying to get a booster or something. I'm checking on the status and will report back. ---Matt
MattHaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Booster
Unread 09-04-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Booster

Frank,
Can you explain what a phone booster is, where you can get one and do they come with different capacities?

Does it work well for you?
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #18
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

Cell phone reception can't be much worse than Deep River.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Kohler View Post
Frank,
Can you explain what a phone booster is, where you can get one and do they come with different capacities?

Does it work well for you?
Marty, I'm happy to oblige. Cell phone boosters are made to provide enhanced voice and data reception in remote areas that have a weak signal due to distance from cell towers or physical obstructions. I bought a Wilson Electronics unit some years ago and more recently got a Fusion2Go made by SureCall. They’re available on Amazon etc. It’s made for vehicles and with a plug in power supply, but I also use it at the hunting cabin up in the mountains where unfortunately the cabin is in a small valley and the signal without the booster will switch between “No Service” and at most 1 bar of 1X, not enough for connection. I’ve adapted the outside antenna (magnetic base, made for a vehicle roof) with an extension lead-in wire and I’ll put it on a bracket just above the roof line, and also use an AC power supply. Signal is increased is to 3 bars 3G and occasional LTE and I can send or receive voice or text any time day or night. Booster setup is moved to the vehicle while hunting out there, it's fairly remote, where it's on standby if needed for an injury or such. I occasionally use it on my side by side ATV while at Hidden Hollow where I get a similar boost. I told Steve Barnett about the booster while there and he bought one too although his is newer and made by another manufacturer. I’ve also used the SureCall at Deep River and can make or receive calls while in the vehicle anywhere on the grounds. Readers should note that the cell phone must be within a foot or so of the inside antenna which is on a cable attached to the booster. I generally will place my phone against it in the console cup holder on my truck and use the cell phone in the speaker mode. Alternately you can hand hold the cell against the inside antenna and use it that way for private calls.

Different capabilities? The more recently made boosters are regulated for 1 watt max output whereas earlier ones made < 2014 were 2-3 watts and the cell phone could be farther away from the indoor antenna. My Fusion is 1 watt.

frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #20
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Like most everyone I try to get away with no interruptions but at times the cell might need to be used. Verizon coverage is unreliable at Hidden Hollow with "No Coverage" or maybe 1 bar 1X signal. I don't know about other carriers. My cell phone booster will increase Verizon to 2-3 bars 3G, and voice and texts work just fine. If anyone is planning to use a Verizon cell for family contact or necessary biz while at HH you might ask around with friends etc and see if you can borrow a booster.
I have Verizon service and have always found over the years at HH that the best location for transmitting & receiving calls is at the gate or 10-12 ft. into the field that is used for parking, behind where they stage the golf carts. Any other location not on top of a mountain is very problematic at HH.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: