Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 09-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
Matt Stolley
Forum Associate

Member Info

[QUOTE=Where do you get RST hulls? I heard they are actually Cheddite?[/QUOTE]
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/2496
Matt Stolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #32
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Scott View Post
Thanks Bill -- but I don't load for 12 or 20, just 16 in 2 1/2"

Where do you get RST hulls? I heard they are actually Cheddite?
Hi Ron,

Yes, I believe the RST hulls are Cheddite's.

I get my hulls from some guys that I shoot with. In fact, we had a clambake yesterday with some 5 stand shooting as entertainment. I have a big assortment of hulls from that and there are a few RST 2 1/2" 16's in there. Maybe a couple dozen? I'll sort them out later today.

I would be happy to send them to you. I didn't see your name in the PGCA membership roster but if you would like them, send me a PM with you address.

And when I go to Ernie's side by side shoot in June in Friendsville PA, I get some RST hulls there too.

Bill
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #33
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

My PW tooling was delivered yesterday. Haven’t had a chance to set the press up to load 2 1/2” shells yet but I think it will be pretty routine with the shorter sizing die. The small black piece allows the wad guide to move lower and fit the 2 1/2” hull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5A28B86-2C64-4CF1-9243-EBB1CA65AA3D.jpg (482.8 KB, 1 views)
Unread 09-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #34
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here’s a question for PW experts.

Now that I can buy a PW short kit am scratching my head on is it useful to me. 12 & 20 my primary shell I load AA hulls full length exclusively. . 10 & 16 short loads almost all Cheddites . Have Two 375s, one set up for 12 other set up for 20. 16 & 10 I charge & crimp on MEC 600 machines.

Don’t want to load 12 & 20 on the same machine , back to front switch would be needed often.

You think the short parts would mount back side requiring a head reverse to use & not affect the full size shells loading.

That would be 2 3/4 12 front 2 7/8 10 back . 2 3/4 20 front 2 1/2 16 back. Switch to the short shells infrequent, switching not a problem.

Willam
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #35
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Here’s a question for PW experts.

You think the short parts would mount back side requiring a head reverse to use & not affect the full size shells loading.
Willam
I'm no expert but "the short parts" consist of a shorter sizing die and a shorter wad guide stop. Neither of those "short parts would mount backside." The sizing die slips in and out of the sizing die holder through the last station hole in the loading plate and the wad guide stop is changed by removing the wad guide and exchanging the long one with the short one. The only thing you would gain by mounting an additional set of dies on the backside of the tool head is the time it takes to adjust the two crimping dies -- the dies for 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" shells are exactly the same -- you just adjust them to suit the length of shells you are loading.
Unread 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #36
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default UPDATE: Ponsness/Warren 375 set up for 2 1/2" shells

I finally found some time to set up my PW for 2 1/2" shells. Things didn't work out as planned. I found out the regular length sizing die actually works better than the shorter one -- it supports the hull better and prevents the hull from collapsing. As far as the short wad guide stop goes, don't bother getting a new one. Just remove the existing one. The wad guide stops on its own when it comes into contact with the hull.

Bottom line: If you have a PW 375 set up for 2 3/4" shells and want to load 2 1/2" shells, the only thing you need to do is adjust the crimp dies and remove the wad guide stop.

Photos from top to bottom:

1) once fired 2 1/2" hull in short sizing die.
2) loaded 2 1/2" shell with crushed hull caused by crimping pressure on unsupported hull.
3) once fired 2 1/2" hull in regular (2 3/4") sizing die. (note additional support)
4) loaded 2 1/2" shell in regular 2 3/4" sizing die (ejects from sizing die perfectly fine).
5) finished 2 1/2" shells loaded without the use of additional "short parts."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.jpg (507.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (505.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0622.jpg (509.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (510.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (488.9 KB, 2 views)
Unread 09-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #37
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks that’s what’s needed to see. Guess I should explain “back side “ for those not familiar with Ponsness Warren machines.

375 head has die mounting holes all around the round head. Enough for one set on the front, another set in reserve on the back. To switch gages take the head off & reverse, front set becomes the reserve, back set moved to the front becomes the active loading set. No need to re-adjust dies. You do have to switch the bottom shell holder out for the new gauge. Wad Guide needs to be gauge switched too.

I should add PW had 2 types of sizing dies. Older type are full finished crimped shell length for 2 3/4 inch, they won’t allow crimping 2 1/2 inch. New type “taper crimp” is shorter allowing the new style knock out station to put a little taper on the finished hull. One in your photo looks very much like a taper crimp. Or they may have 3 lengths now.

Think I will go ahead and order a Short 10 die & experiment with my 12 G set up machine.,

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote