Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #41
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

My one and only experience with getting a repro, or any gun for that matter, bent did not go too well. The shop tried to bent it twice. It would not take the bend. All I got back was a gun with messed up finish and an action so gummed up with oil from the process that I had to strip and clean it to get it to work properly.
I was planning on refinishing the gun anyway, so the finish did not bother me much, and I expected it may happen.
I might as well have taken my $350 and flushed it right down the toilet. The end result was the same.

I know it works fine for a lot of people, but it will be a LONG time before I ever thing about trying it again.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #42
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
My one and only experience with getting a repro, or any gun for that matter, bent did not go too well. The shop tried to bent it twice. It would not take the bend. All I got back was a gun with messed up finish and an action so gummed up with oil from the process that I had to strip and clean it to get it to work properly.
I was planning on refinishing the gun anyway, so the finish did not bother me much, and I expected it may happen.
I might as well have taken my $350 and flushed it right down the toilet. The end result was the same.

I know it works fine for a lot of people, but it will be a LONG time before I ever thing about trying it again.
Brian,

That's a bunch of money for a bend. Dan charges $200 (just confirmed). I asked him about the heated oil treatment for bends one time and he said there are better ways then that for sure and when using hot oil and rags, there's always a fire danger. The one's I've seen him bend at the shop have been mostly German/English guns.

Last edited by tom tutwiler; 06-22-2019 at 12:02 PM..
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #43
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think most know that steam is used by some to bend stocks as well. Seems using water steam anywhere near the action would necessitate a complete strip and clean as a mandatory step, so no alternative there to avoid take down. I know it’s the ‘right way’, but I just can’t see myself shaving down a stock unless it’s already trashed, but I wouldn’t blame someone for doing just that if it makes their gun shootable for them. I’m surprised you’ve never studied up on stock bending and fiddled around with it, Brian - but I also appreciate your perspective on the subject, and can’t say I disagree entirely.

I appreciate hearing what anyone has to say on his subject as I’ve been awfully tempted to make a fixture or a jig, however, it would really upset me to break a stock.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #44
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo View Post
I think most know that steam is used by some to bend stocks as well. Seems using water steam anywhere near the action would necessitate a complete strip and clean as a mandatory step, so no alternative there to avoid take down. I know it’s the ‘right way’, but I just can’t see myself shaving down a stock unless it’s already trashed, but I wouldn’t blame someone for doing just that if it makes their gun shootable for them. I’m surprised you’ve never studied up on stock bending and fiddled around with it, Brian - but I also appreciate your perspective on the subject, and can’t say I disagree entirely.

I appreciate hearing what anyone has to say on his subject as I’ve been awfully tempted to make a fixture or a jig, however, it would really upset me to break a stock.
Dan Rossiter told me there is a specific temp the wrist of the stock has to be before the bend can be attempted. No idea what that temp is. He uses something like the attached which is used to take the wrist temp before the bend is attempted. Once that temp is reached, the stock will bend if its going to bend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDFJ729...3-bd2fd49ee161
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post: